Play In Tr 280 Clutch Basket

wayne509

Been a rumble / whirring on my lads 280 for a few weeks now which has been getting worse so it's time to investigate. Has been a few bigger bits of metal than usual in the last couple of oil changes.

First step is to obviously pull the box. Before doing it I have noticed there seems to be a bit of play in the clutch basket. I presume that there should be none??? Would this suggest a knackered bearing ?

If not probably main bearings. Anyone priced the tools for taking the crank out?

What year is the bike?

I had a similar rumbling sound on my 2011

Mine required a through bolt fitting on the gear box like the later bikes have to hold it in place.

It also starts rumbling a little when the clutch plates are worn and the overall pack size has reduced

What year is the bike?

I had a similar rumbling sound on my 2011

Mine required a through bolt fitting on the gear box like the later bikes have to hold it in place.

It also starts rumbling a little when the clutch plates are worn and the overall pack size has reduced

Bike is a 12 ... The clutch does seem worn .... Any idea on the clutch specs for the Ossa. Smallest plate is 1.92mm ( if my vernier is accurate ) and doesn't seem to have much meat at all left on it. Could be that

I know our 11 never had that that rod and I don't think this bike does either ( will find out tomorrow )

I take it the part was cheap enough?

The "clutch fixer rod" was a 2012 upgrade whose purpose is to lock the clutch shaft to the bearing. You can retrofit to earlier bikes but to do so you have to pull the box and the clutch shaft bearing and then install the head behind the bearing and reinstall. If you do it remember to threadlocker the nut onto the rod when tight as there have been reports of the nut coming loose which affects clutch pperformance

Sorry, meant to say it was a 2013 mod

The bearing that the rod fits behind is in the case behind the crank breather elbow, you have to remove the gearbox cassette and then the circlip holding the bearing in place, you will also have to heat the case to get the bearing out. The head of the rod fits behind the bearing and the rod then goes through the clutch shaft bad is held in place by a nut. The rod also has a left hand thread which is handy to know for future

Edited by canada280i

• 2 weeks later...

Took the gearbox out and there seemed to be excess play in the bush that the main shaft goes through. Also there was a bit of damage on the gear that the kickstart quadrant sits against.

Sent it down to Nigel Birkett to fix and I believe it has been done. Hopefully someone is collecting it for me tomorrow and it will be fitted by Monday night ... will keep you informed

Got it back in ..... never bothered with the clutch fixer mod after advice from those who have had them snap.

Result ..... still the same noise .... looks like it's time to take the crank out now instead

Oh well it's good to learn about your bike eh ? :hyper: