Evo 4T Air Filter Wire Basket

tman427

On my 2011 the wire basket that the air filter sits in is getting torn up around the edges. I have heard that they are on back order from Beta.

Anybody replace one? Do you really need to have it on the bike?

Thanks

Tom

>Do you really need to have it on the bike?

Yes you need it, it not only supports the foam, it prevents the foam filter from catching fire in case of a backfire

most four stroke bikes have a mesh barrier either stand alone, in front of the filter in the air box somewhere, or like yours doing 2 jobs

it works on the same principle as the Davy lamp (Miners safety lamp) it cools the heat from the backfire flame before it can ignite the filter

Yes the back fire issue is the reason 4 strokes come with the wire screen. However I don't know any 4 stroke riders who continue to use them. This includes national level 4 stroke riders for Beta

There is another reason why it is there.

The vacuum draw on a 4T is much greater than a 2T thus the air filter can and will distort as it draws in air.

If you live in dry dusty conditions you may notice dust/dirt lining the sides of your air box. It is getting by the sides of the air filter where it mates to the air box as it distorts upon engine air draw.

As well as what the previous posters have said, the screen helps maintain the shape of the air filter as the engine is in the sucking stroke.

A good helping of grease along the surface of where the air filter meets the air box is a very good idea.