British Round Today

eddie_lejeune

How many batteries did you use during the trial ?

Just the 1 battery, after the 2nd lap I did stop for 15min to have my lunch and plugged it in to give it a little bit extra juice, when I finished the trial it was just under half life on the battery so it would have easily managed the whole trial without the little charge.

does it have any engine braking at all and how many gears does it have or what way does that work?

It has a little bit more resistance than a petrol bike when rolling the bike, but they are easy enough to push around. There isn't any engine braking unless you press the regenerative braking button or pull in the clutch lever. It then gives a reasonable amount of engine braking.

It just has the 1 gear, speed wise the electric motor compared to a petrol bike will take you from slower than 1st to about 3rd gear.

No clutch, does that mean the bike would rides like an on off switch all time?

You get used to not using the clutch, and they have made the motor control that progressive the throttle isn't like an on/off switch, just touching the throttle is that slow, on a petrol bike you would need to slip the clutch in 1st to get the same speed.

Edited by splatshop
  • Like 4

Thanks Tim for your replys, what are the long term plans for this bike in the Uk then?

Hopefully they will take off, they are certainly as competitive as petrol for all riders except for those at the top level. But I think it will only be a few years before you see them be good enough for the very top riders. But now we have a bike that is loads easier to learn how to ride than a petrol bike, is very competitive all the way up to a high expert standard, with the benefit of it been fairly silent, unable to stall, really easy to maintain and costs pennies to charge up.

Electric Motion are talking about competing in the SSDT as soon as possible, hopefully we can make this happen in the next couple of years. This will be a big achievement, and very exciting to have the 1st ever electric bike to do the SSDT.

I see the big turning point for electric trials bike will be electric only competitions on land that you just couldn't use with petrol bikes, it would be quiet possible to have an electric trial in land next to housing estates. Everyone who I have met with a problem against motorbikes, it is nearly always to do with the noise. Being on the EM you get the same reaction as if you were on a mountain bike, it would be nice to get back riding on some of the land we have lost around here in the last few years.

• Like 5

I really like the bike, if I could afford one next to my petrol bike, I wouldn't think twice.

But even on my mountain bike, on permitted tracks, I've gotten remarks of a environmentalist saying we were scaring the wildlife with our colorful equipment.

There's no pleasing some people.

I've gotten remarks of a environmentalist saying we were scaring the wildlife with our colorful equipment.

Unfortunately they are just Sad People who can not bear to see other people having FUN.....
  • Like 1

Hopefully they will take off, they are certainly as competitive as petrol for all riders except for those at the top level. But I think it will only be a few years before you see them be good enough for the very top riders. But now we have a bike that is loads easier to learn how to ride than a petrol bike, is very competitive all the way up to a high expert standard, with the benefit of it been fairly silent, unable to stall, really easy to maintain and costs pennies to charge up.

Electric Motion are talking about competing in the SSDT as soon as possible, hopefully we can make this happen in the next couple of years. This will be a big achievement, and very exciting to have the 1st ever electric bike to do the SSDT.

I see the big turning point for electric trials bike will be electric only competitions on land that you just couldn't use with petrol bikes, it would be quiet possible to have an electric trial in land next to housing estates. Everyone who I have met with a problem against motorbikes, it is nearly always to do with the noise. Being on the EM you get the same reaction as if you were on a mountain bike, it would be nice to get back riding on some of the land we have lost around here in the last few years.

Noise isnt an issue we have a practice ground in MK and its close to a road which s way noisier when measured properly.

Any questions, please ask.

Cheers,

Tim Pearson

Hi Tim.

Thanks for taking time out to answer the questions, I have a question or 2 , is the EM that you are riding the 2014 model , do you know what the peak power output of the motor is ( not what the em spec sheet says :-) ).

I really like the bike, if I could afford one next to my petrol bike, I wouldn't think twice.

But even on my mountain bike, on permitted tracks, I've gotten remarks of a environmentalist saying we were scaring the wildlife with our colorful equipment.

The only draw back with electrics is the price at the moment, and there will be a lack of cheap second hand electric for years to come, even when second hand to become available the chances are that the battery will need replacing. The cheapest way to own a e-trial is to convert a gas bike or get someone else to, as it will work out a fraction of the cost than buying off the shelf.

Would be interesting to see how the EM performs in the Southern mud in the winter!

It would certainly be a challenge for the EM and battery range in general.

Clutch - there really is no use for a modulating clutch, the on / off clutch is for dumping the clutch with throttle on as with the gas bike. Also, when you pull the clutch in you activate a regeneration feature, great for down hill breaking and charging at the same time.

Price - no gas, plugs, filters, oil etc, very little maintenance, in Canada the EM is about $1000 more than gas, I guess its up to the everyone to decide if there is real savings.

Level - The bike is not intended for pro trial level riding, rather Canadian expert or french s2 level. Still very high level and not a lot of riders out there riding pro.

Battery - ride before an event, during and after and then it requires a charge. However with the 15 amp charger option the battery can be recharged from 0 to 80% in 30 minutes. To full in one hour.

EM is not a replacement for gas bikes, its an alternative.

The bike comes in two models, Classic and Sport, sport is lighter with an upgrade on suspension, frame etc, the same bike that is used in the Championship of France. More models will be launched.

cheers

yes, I'm an importer but just looking to pass on some facts, not intending any promotion.

http://youtu.be/hd_okiHP5u0

Edited by borus
  • Like 2

Hello I think these Electric machines are going to be the way forward in the future of our sport. At least the Ramblers Association should approve. If you look at the Electric machines in the TT they are making massive steps each year. Just have a look at the average speeds and lap times.

The Electric Trials machines will improve year after year and I believe they are the future the way forward, Cleaner and Greener.

• Like 2