125F To Get Back Into It ......

daggs888

Hello All,

I bought myself a 125f to get back into things after a 5 year break from trials. Its a nice little bike, high revs everywhere but will do anything im prepared to look at for the minute.

My question is - has anyone fitted the 175 big bore kit and how much of a difference does it make ?, Is it difficult to fit ?, not sure if I should give this a try or just go straight into buying another 4rt.

Mabey im kidding myself and the small bore 4 pumper at 125 is all i'll need !, im 45 now and not as brave as I was 20 years ago ! ive go a bolt on longride seat with it and this is a great bonus as its also effective and capable on a short distance green lane burst !

I Love the bike and quite fond of it so your experiences and comments on this model would be appreciated. (trying to give myself reasons to keep it !)

Hi daggs,had a 163 since they first came out.

Good bit more power than the 125 and can pull a slightly higher gear.

Still only one really usable gear though.

Personally I would enjoy the 125 and move on to something else if you get more serious.

Limiting factor tends to be ground clearance as much as power.

Enjoy it for what it is.

I would have a 163 kit mesel. Any larger and you gotta bore the engine cases as I recall.

Scorpa 145 piston bores into stock cylinder. Scorpa 163 uses a oversize sleeve, case boring required. 190 cc piston kit available from small Yorkshire engineer, lots more bottom end torque but wont rev up like 125,145,163. Nigel Birkett Scorpa importer, scorpa 125 guru, finished several Scottish 6 days on the wee scorpa says the 163 cc version works best overall, he doesn't like the hugely oversquare 190 kit because it wont rev up properly. Lovely bikes.

I didn't do it but they need it. I think Birketts fitted the arm off a later model ttr engine.

Did you buy the 125 off Wobblies ??

Thanks Andy i'll get on to Birketts.

I didn't get is off wobblers ... at least I don't think so ! lol . Got it from Scotland, to be honest paid next to nothing for it and its in great order !, the guy next door paid more for his mountain bike. The more I ride it, the more I like it, its got to be the best fun for spend bike ive ever owned :-) .

Thanks again for the advise ..

• Like 1

Daggs,

I'm a relative newbie to trials and motorcycles in general and I love my little Scorpa. I had been looking for a TYS for a few years ( they a somewhat rare in the states) when I found a 125f up in Idaho back in January. The seller and I struck deal and his brother brought it down to me here in Utah. It doesn't have a lot of power but it's a spunky little thing. As far as big bore kits go I've heard from no less than Bob at B&J Racing that the 150cc BBR kits are pretty good, though I don't know how they go bigger than 143cc without case boring. And Bob stills sells his 143 kit, I think. One thing is that the BBR kits always seem associated with top end performance gains and higher compressions in the 11:1 range (IIRC) versus the lower 9+:1 (?) ratios in B&J's kits, that latter favoring low speed bottom end performance? I'm nowhere near an expert on this and would like to hear some ideas on the topic. As it is my 125 has plenty of oomph around the back lot but doesn't go anywhere very fast. Still I like it and am not in a hurry to put a bigger piston in it.

• 1 month later...