Mick Andrews 1972 Ssdt Winning Ossa,or Is It?

bikeshed1950

Hi,i am new to this forum and probably too old to trial now.The thing is,i bought an Ossa in 1975 from a bloke that claimed it was Mick Andrews 1972 ssdt winning bike.Anyway,i rode in a few trials in 75 &76 and was absolutely bloody useless.In fact i won a prize in a Boxing day trial,for coming last.Anyroad up,i broke the sodding front wheel ,hitting a large tree head on.After that i was a bit disenchanted with trialing and couldn't aford to fix it so i slung it in the back of the garage,where it has been until now.I have just finished restoring an old s.v.BSA.and have now decided to restore the Ossa.I have the original old type log book for it ,which says "imported from Spain".How can i find out if it is Micks bike? Does anyone have any pictures or information?It is not like a MAR at all,its much sturdier and has an orange and white tank seat unit.I hope this post strikes a chord with someone.Regards John.

• Like 2

Hi

It could be.

I remember MA's prototype bikes from that time did tend to get sold off

and appear in private hands. As I remember the tank colour was a bronze/orange stripe

on a white background.

Edited by sparks2

Thanks sparks 2, im getting somewhere.I bought the bike from a bloke in Clowne in Derbyshire which is not that far from where Mick lives.I should love a photo of Mick on the bike or an eye witness account of the trial.I must say im getting a bit excited about finishing the project and might even start trialing again.I cant be any worse than in the 70s.I was never sober.In fact my wife didn't know i drank until i came home sober one night.Thanks again.

Hi

More thoughts:-

The bike is unlikely to be 1972 as the production MAR was introduced in January 1972, therefore

by May 1972 MA would be riding something that was more akin to the standard production bike.

But, of course, could still well be the Scottish winning machine from 1970 or 1971, all the more

interesting.

The rider I remember having a prototype MAR of the type described was Paul (or Terry ??) Brailsford

from the Mansfield / Chesterfield area. Does anyone else remember this?

Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

Hi,i am new to this forum and probably too old to trial now.The thing is,i bought an Ossa in 1975 from a bloke that claimed it was Mick Andrews 1972 ssdt winning bike.Anyway,i rode in a few trials in 75 &76 and was absolutely bloody useless.In fact i won a prize in a Boxing day trial,for coming last.Anyroad up,i broke the sodding front wheel ,hitting a large tree head on.After that i was a bit disenchanted with trialing and couldn't aford to fix it so i slung it in the back of the garage,where it has been until now.I have just finished restoring an old s.v.BSA.and have now decided to restore the Ossa.I have the original old type log book for it ,which says "imported from Spain".How can i find out if it is Micks bike? Does anyone have any pictures or information?It is not like a MAR at all,its much sturdier and has an orange and white tank seat unit.I hope this post strikes a chord with someone.Regards John.

I dont know what your planning but I would not paint it at all or change visible components

If its the actual bike as you think and you paint it , you will damage the value significantly.......but its up to you

Weee Heee ,well remembered,Raymand Paul Brailsford is the first name on the old log book after it was imported.He came from Worksop.Log book stamped Jan 1973.He sold it to the bloke i got it off in Feb 1975.Were getting closer,but im still intrigued as to what the 72 bike looked like.I cant find any pictures or reference to it anywhere.As you say, it may be the 70 or 71bike.The plot thickens.Thanks Sherlock lol.

My mum had a photo of me circa 1974-75 with a Mick Andrews trials jersey on.... open face helmet with a peak. I'm pretty sure the jersey had a Yamaha logo under the Mick Andrews logo. It was white with red collar, sleeve tips and writing. From memory.

It was my fond memories of that shirt and era that puts us into two trials bikes this year... after all those years!

Tell your friend to tell Mick... he is still inspiring people into trials!!!

Mags

post-7203-0-25768100-1408137143_thumb.jpg

Above is the 1972 type machine

post-7203-0-95971600-1408137006_thumb.jpg

Above is the 1970 SSDT winning bike.

This is the type I remember Paul Brailsford riding.

Although I was obviously wrong about the tank colour, which was a white stripe on a bronze/orange ground

(well it was 40 years ago). The frame is silver.

Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

I think there were three prototypes before the actual MAR appeared, white with blue stripe, orange with white stripe (as in Sparks' picture) and then white with orange stripe but I could have the order wrong. The white with orange stripe was the '71 championship winning bike I think and the picture of Mick riding it on the beach was put onto a sticker to commemorate it.

• Like 1