Mick Andrews 1972 Ssdt Winning Ossa,or Is It?

bikeshed1950

I'd forgotten about this topic, nice to see it active again.

It's hard to guess exactly which bike you have as I think that the various colour schemes of the tank units may have been used on all of the prototypes at some point as opposed to one colour per bike. The 1971 bike can be seen with both the orange with white stripe and white with orange stripe. The registration Spanish B775073 may have been used on more than one bike during 70 and 71. It definitely appeared on the last prototype, the 71 SSDT winning bike and later in 71 on pictures of Mick's first actual MAR. I think the 1970 SSDT winning bike still had the full frame cradle under the engine with a sump guard bolted to it but I've never seen a picture of that bike showing it's registration. After that, either that frame was modified or he had a new frame which had no frame tubes under the engine. It was probably a new frame as they made a lot of changes to that last prototype which was the basis of the MAR, the bike was shortened, engine repositioned etc.  All of the prototypes were, I think, based on modified enduro frames

So at a guess, if yours still has the bottom frame tubes it is most likely the 1970 bike as the '71 winning bike didn't have them but they all seem to have used the various colour schemes on the tanks.

There are a few pictures on this site

http://www.mickandrews.net/

Here's video of the 1971 bike in the USA at a trials school, now wIth black / white tank with reg B775073

• Like 1

It was definitely the '70 SSDT winning bike, Mick confirmed that to my dad. Twin coil and twin plug motor with the strange IRZ carb'.

I think the one in the video clip is a totally different bike. Not sure though. Thanks for your input.

Edited by spen

I can't access page 87, just throws an error

The bike in the video is the 1971 bike which won both european championship and SSDT, just with different colour scheme again.

The 72 SSDT winning bike was a proper MAR

ok  - the online manual I have works differently, there's only one page with the index so you have to click the link to get to a page. Never even tried to scroll on this one...  Found it now. Not sure what it's showing me though as it just mentions the two types of carb.

Mick's bike had the double needle carb but the production bikes used the single needle version as it was reported to soften the power delivery. Mick used the double needle to sharpen throttle response, so what I meant in the post above is that carb may still be the one with the bike. As the current owner mentioned naff IRZ carb he may have been thinking of binning it when it could be the original factory fitted carb and a piece of the bike's history.

What a great thread this is As good as any mystery book you could find all you want next to you is a cup of tea and a gallon of Castrol R and you will be transported back in time, well done Spen you are a mine of information.

Would it be nice to know where all our bikes finished up.

Well done cheers.

It was nice to be able to put a bit of info' in the right direction.

My dad also had a Triumph Cub, it was bought brand new by his friend Jimmy Cunningham who ran High Street Motors in Clowne, it was a '63 works bike, Jimmy was a Triumph dealer.

Jimmy ran it in a few trials on his trade plates and it amassed 97 miles before he laid it up. My dad bought it off him and registered it on a normal plate, it was given the number PRA 377M.

My dad sold it on to a chap out Manchester way in 1974, he answered an advert' in the Motorcycle News ( in the days when it was worth reading) and sent a telegram saying 'Will buy Cup'. The person taking the telegram must have misheard. The chap turned up in an Austin Maxi, took the handlebars off and laid it in the back.

It was a lovely bike, I was riding it quite regularly, suspension was abysmal (damping only worked on the front on the way down and it used to clank like hell on the way back up! We found a mix of engine oil with paraffin worked best in the forks!), but it was full of character. I used to go to school on the Monday morning after a Sunday trial, black and blue and aching like hell.

• Like 2

My dad's favourite trials bike was the Greeves Scottish, before he died I managed to let him have a go on the one I had at the time, he was like a kid at Xmas. His road bikes were Scott Squirrels. He had a 1918 Humber sidecar outfit, bought from a chap in Worksop, Mister Sharp, who was a cycle dealer and was allowed this in the first world war to transport cycles to Worksop railway station to go to the 'front'. My dad bought it in the late '50's and it ended up in the Geeson Museum at Witham in Lincolnshire, my dad having sold it around 1965/'66, having succumbed to the young family to feed type dilemma most of us know about.....

My mum and dad called in the Geeson Museum for a look round sometime in the 1980's and were amazed to see it there. My mum shouted to my dad to come and look at their old bike and the owner heard her and started to ask questions. My dad had a lot of the original paperwork and donated it to the museum. A magazine did an article on it, I had a copy but sent it to one of my dad's old friends who moved to South Africa.

I remember him having a Tandon Kangaroo trials bike and him telling me the story about you could buy them cheap in 'kit form' and wouldn't have to pay tax on them, I seem to recall it might have been 'purchase tax', anyhow, they were delivered with bits requiring some minor assembly, wheels out, handlebars off et cetera.....

It was a nice little thing, he used it in winter for work transport. I can see where my interest in bikes came from now........

Edited by spen