Em5.7

heffergm

Like others I'm very intrigued and would love to own one for a week and ride a couple of club trials. Being brought up on petrol bikes myself I'm now getting my two boys going on electric and am very impressed with the 12.5 and 16 Osets we have.

Price - if you could get a new one for around £3k I'd probably cash in my browny points with 'her who must be obeyed' and get one. At the minute it's be the same money as a brand new, heavily developed, factory model Sherco, so if I had the cash to spend, think I'd go petrol. Be interesting to see how the second hand market develops, guess this will depend on long term battery/motor/controller (what other bits is there?!) relaibility and replacement cost.

I've been impressed with the Oset's ability to stand up to being washed quite agressively and, touch wood, I've had no electrical issues from doing this. How water proof are these? Could you fully submerge one for a couple of minutes, drag it out and ride away? In theory you should be able to. If so and you can just power wash off, spray up, charge up and ride again that would be a big selling point for me over having to keep on top of carb maintenance. Fit grease points in all the right places, suspension pivots and head stock and it starts to appeal even more as a low maintenance, simple clubman bike, especially if price comes down too.

Would love to be able to jump on one in a few years time, when the lads are a bit more competent, and go for a play in the local woods with the two boys on their Osets without breaking the law. Wonder if the law will catch up once 'greenies' realise these can tear up tracks like a petrol bike?

Riding style - once the Oset 24 is fully developed and in production then the gap from youth to adult will be just about bridged and there may be a whole new generation of rider that never even consider petrol and never have to learn the flywheel/clutch style of riding! Petrol will become the Pre 65 of now - spend £6k and 3 hours tinkering for every hour of riding.....

The final test has to be some brave soul settng out on one in the SSDT. Could you have two batteries, swap quickly at fuel stops and charge the other in a support vehicle in time for the next 'fuel' stop? Would the bike have the range to get between fuel stops or road points where support crew could be waiting? The ability to withstand a full dunking would have to be a big benefit in this type of event.

Interesting stuff!

• Like 1

I spent a long time developing a electronic clutch  for my bikes and and now have it dialled in and it behaves 100% as a mechanical clutch does. There is no need to have a flywheel as long as the controller is set up correctly ( and the electronics :-) ) but one thing I would say is like someone has said previously without the feed back from the noise of the engine it can make it a bit tricky to get used to, you could resort in a visual indicator for throttle position and that helps but also take a lot of getting used to.  

I think there may be an answer to this.

What about some sort of audible signal that increases in pitch the more the throttle is wound on?

That shouldn't be too hard to do, wouldn't add much weight or use much battery power.

For ultimate customer appeal, maybe the user could upload their own sound file.

Though it might lead to owners uploading Mr Methane Fart App!

• 2 months later...

I love my 5.7 sport. I ride it in mainly urban areas, skate bowls, parks, urban forest etc. People always stop me and want to know about it and never do I get a negative reaction.

I can also ride with my kids on Osets and its always quiet.

I haven't had a problem with hill climbs at all but am only intermediate level trials.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I rode one last week in San Diego. All I can say is wow, I want one. Throttle travel was rather excessive and that was the only downside I could see. It was very easy to static balance- easier than my Gas Gas.

The only thing is that I have a kids Razor electric dirt bike which was $500 new.  This bike isn't low quality at all, but riding the EM reminded me a little of that Razor experience. This makes the $10k US price tag rather hard to swallow. But I think I'm going to get one early next year.

What would be really great? EM or someone builds a kit that you can plug into a Gas Gas chassis.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I rode the bike again the other day in more challenging climbs. This is where the bike does not work so well for me. Technical climbs where you have to feather the clutch to keep the front end down are this bikes week spot as the second you pull it in there is zero power. I had the bike on full power and it feels like it has the strength if a 125 with no clutch use. As far as roll on power it might make similar power to a 250 - doesn't feel like it - but considering how much we clutch these bikes it doesn't have anywhere near the power of a 125 with a flywheel and the revs dialed up and then the clutch released. I've seen videos of guys doing more challenging stuff than I can do but it's so much easier to ride a gas bike. I think I'd be better off getting an almost silent 4t Evo. The range in the EM was very good, however, and woukd not be An issue for me. For 10k US it needs a working clutch though for me.

• Like 1

the batteries can deliver the necessary current so no need for super caps.. but can the controller or bms. As i have said before you don't need a mechanical clutch as long as the controller/bms is able to deliver the current need in a controlled manner ( i.e  not on/ off but totally variable control )