The Scott Trial

laird387

Laird is correct in saying that the Right to Roam laws do not encompass the use of vehicles (pedal or motor powered) in England. You can run, climb or walk on uncultivated land but that's about it.

But then if any riders do choose to ride illegally during the event, be it on or off road, then sadly I don't think they will trouble themselves with poring over what the law says or indeed take instruction from an esteemed source such as this forum.  

• Like 1

#30    You misread the post you referred to. I did not have time to attend the start / finish area.

Unfortunately once again some seem to be misinterpreting or misquoting my posts. The right to roam does include taking photographs or being accompanied by dogs (subject to certain restrictions) I never suggested that the right to roam included vehicular access. Many of the scott sections on right to roam areas are actually adjacent to footpaths and bridleways. You can take a horse or MTB on a bridleway. I have ridden the scott quite a few times, observed and flag collected and away from scott time cycled or walked quite a bit of it. I pretty well know every inch of he course. Never once have I been challenged about being on any part of it and there were quite a few walkers and MTBs who were also enjoying the areas unhindered. There are many excellent sections not in the programme with no viewing problems  or access issues.

Areas where their have been problems include riders not sticking to the course, excess spectator numbers and vehicles and careless parking at the programme sections. I can remember when riders support vehicles blocked the road to Orgate / Telfit and Cold knucles, similarly Washfold has been given up as a result of traffic problems. Last year there was adverse comment from people not connected with the trial regarding trial traffic blocking of the road at Bridge End. Several years ago a competitor swore at a landowners son and was rightly excluded. In many ways the scott is a victim of its own success. I am not going to name names on this forum but I am pretty certain a least some of those who have used motorcycles to access parts of the course where they should not have done will be reading this.

"Mr. Landowner. any chance our Trial could run across your land?"

"Okay, but only riders and officials. I don't want public tramping over it"

"No problem. We'll publicise that before the event"

One year later...

"Mr. Landowner. any chance our Trial could run across your land again?"

"I told you last year I only wanted riders and officials, but there were loads of public there too, so no."

Go figure... :rolleyes:

Hi,

We lost several of the very best British Experts sections in the Llandrindod area precisely because of this problem.

Later, when I was very much involved with creating the Arbuthnot Trial, we lost a complete portion of the course when trail riders, nothing to do with the event, were riding round the course when stopped by one of the landowners outside his home and queried as to what right did they feel they had to be there - their answer was primitive, they took their trail bikes into his garden and performed 'doughnuts' in his flower beds and lawn.........

I appreciate they were not part of the trial - but neither are awkward spectators...............simple answer, respect everybody else's rights as though they were your own.

• Like 1

#30    You misread the post you referred to. I did not have time to attend the start / finish area.

Unfortunately once again some seem to be misinterpreting or misquoting my posts. The right to roam does include taking photographs or being accompanied by dogs (subject to certain restrictions) I never suggested that the right to roam included vehicular access. Many of the scott sections on right to roam areas are actually adjacent to footpaths and bridleways. You can take a horse or MTB on a bridleway. I have ridden the scott quite a few times, observed and flag collected and away from scott time cycled or walked quite a bit of it. I pretty well know every inch of he course. Never once have I been challenged about being on any part of it and there were quite a few walkers and MTBs who were also enjoying the areas unhindered. There are many excellent sections not in the programme with no viewing problems  or access issues.

Areas where their have been problems include riders not sticking to the course, excess spectator numbers and vehicles and careless parking at the programme sections. I can remember when riders support vehicles blocked the road to Orgate / Telfit and Cold knucles, similarly Washfold has been given up as a result of traffic problems. Last year there was adverse comment from people not connected with the trial regarding trial traffic blocking of the road at Bridge End. Several years ago a competitor swore at a landowners son and was rightly excluded. In many ways the scott is a victim of its own success. I am not going to name names on this forum but I am pretty certain a least some of those who have used motorcycles to access parts of the course where they should not have done will be reading this.

when did you ride the scott? What years?

• Like 1

To that question dear Nigel I will give the same answer as Rolls Royce used to give when asked about the HP of their cars. The answer is an "Adequate" number.

I wished I had ridden it more and would advise all to give it a go, or several whilst they are still young / fit enough. Will I attempt it again ????

• Like 2

Dadof2, can you please delete your last post please. I find it offensive that you are posting information regarding locating Scott sections that are supposed to be out of bounds to spectators. As an observer of one of those sections mentioned and also a member of Richmond Motor club I feel you have jeapordised the future successful running of Trial by posting such information.

Many thanks John.B

DADOF2. YOU ARE RISKING THE FUTURE OF THE SCOTT TRIAL!

• Like 3

Dadof2, can you please delete your last post please. I find it offensive that you are posting information regarding locating Scott sections that are supposed to be out of bounds to spectators. As an observer of one of those sections mentioned and also a member of Richmond Motor club I feel you have jeapordised the future successful running of Trial by posting such information.

Many thanks John.B

DADOF2. YOU ARE RISKING THE FUTURE OF THE SCOTT TRIAL!

Well said

Dadaof2....................what motivates you?

Judging by the larger number of spectators last Saturday, the Trial is already getting maybe too popular and this is hard enough for Richmond MCC to administer, without you publishing details of exact locations of 'no spectator' locations

This will only get more people wandering over the Moors, roaming everywhere which will aggravate the NPark and landowners

• Like 1