The Scott Trial

laird387

....or you could simply ask the scott committee if its ok? Do you need contact details?

Thankyou,

But, having personally organised not only many individual trials over the years, but also national trials series for well over ten years, I do know how to contact a trials committee - but I certainly do not intend to create a precedent by asking permission for something that I do not believe anybody who thoroughly understood the complexities of copyright law would have suggested in print...........

I have also spent many personal hours and miles helping to mark out the Scott trials course in years gone by - so I'm no stranger to the event.

So my answer is thankyou - but NO thankyou.

Hi,

The Scott Trial, October 17 Feldom Range.

Thousands of motorcycle trials enthusiasts will head for Richmondshire next Saturday to watch one hundred and ninety seven super-fit trials rider battle with eighty miles of Swaledale moors in the one hundred and one years of Scott Trial history history.

Make no mistake the Scott Trial is not only unique in the calendar, but also one of the toughest, energy sapping, bike destroying cross country events in Europe.  With hardly a yard of tarmac on the entire course (which is beyond Arkegarthdale, Hurst and Grinton), James Dabill, Dougie Lampkin and Skeeby’s Jonathan Richardson all aim to win – again. Former world and British champion, Lampkin has achieved the impossible four times. Can Dougie make it five? Can John Sunter set the pace as he did last year ?

The word from Healaugh is that Sunter has been training in what must be the punishing method and is set on blazing a time beating trail on his Repsol Honda. 

Four females start. World and British champion Emma Bristow has Kay Sunter, Vicky Peel and Chloe Richardson to contend with. Michele Bosi travels from Italy and Grand Canaria resident Cristian Ruano takes on the trial. Probably Cristian is in for a king sized shock.

Apart from the hundred plus trials officials the Swaledale Mountain Rescue will be tracking all the riders with satellite and radio systems.

The detailed programme, all eighty eight pages, is available in shops at Richmond, Leyburn and Reeth now. Priced at £5.00 - but any extra is more than welcome because ALL proceeds from the Scott Trial are donated to national and local charities.

The sole rewards for the riders are the coveted trophies. Not a penny is featured in the awards - just trophies.

The Grand Depart time is 09.00 then every 20 seconds for each rider. Feldom Range is on the road from Richmond to Marske. The Spectator car parks are opposite the competitor paddock.

PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO FOLLOW THE COURSE ON BIKES - THE AREA HAS THE STATUS OF A NATIONAL PARK AND WARDENS WILL BE MONITORING - THE FUTURE OF THE EVENT WILL BE IN JEOPARDY.

• Like 1

Thankyou,

But, having personally organised not only many individual trials over the years, but also national trials series for well over ten years, I do know how to contact a trials committee - but I certainly do not intend to create a precedent by asking permission for something that I do not believe anybody who thoroughly understood the complexities of copyright law would have suggested in print...........

I have also spent many personal hours and miles helping to mark out the Scott trials course in years gone by - so I'm no stranger to the event.

So my answer is thankyou - but NO thankyou.

so are you saying you do or do not want to publicise the event or want a special thank you or need to get around copyright or just want to moan about something the committee has decided that you know more about, plus ive never heard of your magazine let alone seen it on the shelf in WH SMiths.  im confused?

Edited by nigel dabster

Hi Guy's.

Deryk I have just downloaded a pdf file with the full list of 2015 riders that is available to anyone on the net with a computer , I -phone etc.

So are we all braking copyright laws? Stupid I call it. are we not in a sport that is supposed to be enjoyed by all ?

Or are we in some out of control spiralling commercial whirlwind that won't stop until the sport is dead and buried ?

You can see this happening in most magazines that are for sale in most large high street book stores.

Just take a look at one, thirty pages of bikes for sale and adverts for bits and pieces, four or five pages for anything do with a trials bike. Why

Well without the revenue the mags would not get printed and the publishers would call it a day without any fat cat profit, the sport only comes secondary to  the cost and money to be made.

So I think that is why Deryk's Off Road Review is not on the news stands, but uses a platform on this web site for his ORR-e magazine and not one advert in site ,just pages of old

and new history about the art of motorcycle observation trials and machines from the front page to the back.

Regards Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

By downloading the list, as long as you have done it simply for your own personal interest or pleasure, you are not contravening the copyright (as long as that list that you found on the internet indicates that it is protected by copyright).

If it does not indicate that it is protected - then you can print it inside sticks of rock and sell it - or whatever takes your fancy.  

Aside from it being an unenforcable load of bollocks, the same announcement appeared in last year's programme and was duly and correctly ignored by all and sundry. Ripping off the stories in the the programme is one thing, but the entry list? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

• Like 1

Hi,

I am told that the copyright notice has appeared in the programme since at least 2003 - and, as Andy so rightly says, been happily ignored by all and sundry.  I shall therefore make use of the list of riding numbers in order to identify any riders I can not recognise for the usual Photoreport in ORRe.

The one thing to remember by anybody taking photographs is that all the sections are on private land, so don't just assume you have access without checking.

http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk/wps/portal/oasys/maps/MapSearch/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gfdwMzDyNnA0v_kCBXA08DT38XHy9PQ38DE6B8pFm8AQ7gaEBAdzjIPrN4M3cfC0MnfwNLg0A_CwNPC3MTI0cPbwMDY1OIPB7z_Tzyc1P1C3IjDLJMHBUBQs8ezw!!/dl3/d3/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

The above link may help those interested in accessing sections not listed in the programme.

Although on private ground much of the course has public access as a right, commonly known as the "right to roam"

Hi dadof2,

Sadly if you actually check the so-called 'right to roam' legislation you will find that it merely entitles you to walk on certain types of land for leisure purposes, it does not give any vehicular rights, nor any right to undertake any form of gainful activity whilst roaming.........like taking photographs and then posting them on a website.

Take a trials or scrambles organisers course with the A-CU or AMCA and find out.

The above link may help those interested in accessing sections not listed in the programme.

Although on private ground much of the course has public access as a right, commonly known as the "right to roam"

"Mr. Landowner. any chance our Trial could run across your land?"

"Okay, but only riders and officials. I don't want public tramping over it"

"No problem. We'll publicise that before the event"

One year later...

"Mr. Landowner. any chance our Trial could run across your land again?"

"I told you last year I only wanted riders and officials, but there were loads of public there too, so no."

Go figure... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I was fully aware of the implications of what I posted (as Andy has now set out) when I made the post. I also assumed that anyone reading it would be a responsible person with an interest in trials and therefore would be careful when accessing private ground sections.

If you really are going to stop right to ram walkers taking photographs you are probably going to clog up the courts with about a million offenders a year in the LD and NY National parks alone.

Every year at the Scott I see a number of riders (including past spoon winners) riding motorcycles where they should not be and also some riders who I know to be underage, uninsured and or unlicensed for the motorcycles they are on riding on the road, so I think its a bit rich to be overly critical of the few who may choose right to roam access to view a few out of the way sections responsibly.

I was fully aware of the implications of what I posted (as Andy has now set out) when I made the post. I also assumed that anyone reading it would be a responsible person with an interest in trials and therefore would be careful when accessing private ground sections.

If you really are going to stop right to ram walkers taking photographs you are probably going to clog up the courts with about a million offenders a year in the LD and NY National parks alone.

Every year at the Scott I see a number of riders (including past spoon winners) riding motorcycles where they should not be and also some riders who I know to be underage, uninsured and or unlicensed for the motorcycles they are on riding on the road, so I think its a bit rich to be overly critical of the few who may choose right to roam access to view a few out of the way sections responsibly.

So what you are saying is that because a few people are doing activities illegally "Every year at the Scott I see a number of riders (including past spoon winners) riding motorcycles where they should not be and also some riders who I know to be underage, uninsured and or unlicensed for the motorcycles they are on riding on the road"  than it should be acceptable for others to use the right to roam incorrectly and therefore be illegal as well?

:dunce: 

• Like 1

"Mr. Landowner. any chance our Trial could run across your land?"

"Okay, but only riders and officials. I don't want public tramping over it"

"No problem. We'll publicise that before the event"

One year later...

"Mr. Landowner. any chance our Trial could run across your land again?"

"I told you last year I only wanted riders and officials, but there were loads of public there too, so no."

Go figure... :rolleyes:

Spot on. The club make huge efforts to provide accessible sections and there's plenty of them to choose from.

I observed on the grouse moor (and have done for 20+ years) and still managed to watch at Reels Head (two sections) and catch most riders at the finish.

Judging by Andy's photos, looks like he managed four groups.

Believe me there's nothing particularly special about the sections away from the spectator ones and the atmosphere at the spectator ones in my opinion is the best at any trial.

Please don't make it more difficult for the club than it needs to be.

Edited by dabber
  • Like 1

Spot on. The club make huge efforts to provide accessible sections and there's plenty of them to choose from.

I observed on the grouse moor (and have done for 20+ years) and still managed to watch at Reels Head (two sections) and catch most riders at the finish.

Judging by Andy's photos, looks like he managed four groups.

Believe me there's nothing particularly special about the sections away from the spectator ones and the atmosphere at the spectator ones in my opinion is the best at any trial.

Please don't make it more difficult for the club than it needs to be.

Spot on, well said

You didn't go this year you said

Sounds like stirring to me, allegations you can't or haven't substantiated

No need to throw mud or do you get a kick out of it ?