Reed Block Spacer

burnleytazz

Hi all just goin over my 2002 txt pro trying to find y my engine is pinging and noticed theres a reed block spacer is this a mod becuase i cant find it in the parts list. also if these are put in wrong order could this be the cause.

what order do they go in

I understand you just rebuilt the motor. I would start with what jets you have in it for your elevation. The `02 also had mag cases, so the idea of a leak test is in order. Did you do the rebuild or someone real familiar with the pro. The cases were different on the `02 so the center gasket could be suspect, so was the clutch cover gasket. The `02 had a crazy amount of problems, which can be worked out with patience and lots of investment. That is why they never made a parts list.

I understand you just rebuilt the motor. I would start with what jets you have in it for your elevation. The `02 also had mag cases, so the idea of a leak test is in order. Did you do the rebuild or someone real familiar with the pro. The cases were different on the `02 so the center gasket could be suspect, so was the clutch cover gasket. The `02 had a crazy amount of problems, which can be worked out with patience and lots of investment. That is why they never made a parts list.

There was an engine parts manual published for the 2002 Pro engine (I have a copy) but not a chassis manual that I'm aware of, much of the engine manuals you see after that were a modification of that original manual.

Burnleytazz has a optional wedge-type carb spacer installed on his engine. You could obtain one from your dealer and it was used to tilt the carb up a little to gain clearance between the carb float bowl and the top of the engine cases. I made one for my JTR370 when installing a 28PWK and it was a common mod for the Keihin on the early Pro 250/280's.

Jon

Jon, this guy lost his motor last year and just now finished it. I doubt that it is the spacer causing the ping. He was chasing timing and now the intake. Either he has an air leak or a carb issue.

i bought the bike last year knowing nothing about trials or gas gas. When i bought the bike it was overheating after 20 mins so bought the following

water pump repair kit

head o rings

rectifier (which it never had on when bought)

Piston kit size b

air filter

It was running without a rectifier witch was the problem.

after installing all these new parts it was fine for bout 100 hrs then top end bearing went then bottom went so 3 months ago got a new crank bearing rod and another top end bearing.

Due to work i only got piston rings this week thinking everything would be okay. but upon starting it was knocking which at first i thought was piston slap then i didnt know if it was pinging/detonation.

but now thanks to jse/jon i now know its defently piston clearance nikosil coating has worn through.

but i started this thread cause i am getting detonation due to an air leak and wondering about this spacer

also u made a good point about the casing becuase looking at now its not flush together.

again when i recieved my gasket kit it had 2 crank case gaskets in it

thnx everyone ur info is appreciated

Edited by burnleytazz
  • Like 1