Show Us Your Ty

power175

On 5/24/2018 at 7:56 PM, guy53 said:

David, do you feel that the Majesty Damping Rod are better on rock bed and rough downhill than the Gold Valve ?

Guy

I'm still undecided Guy. The Majesty damper rods make the front end feel less busy than standard TY on stream bed rocks. The gold valves feel like the front suspension is more supple than with the Majesty rods and they provide an equally good (calm) feeling to the front end. Overall both make for a more relaxing ride in rocky stream beds compared with standard but I can't decide which is better. I find the Majesty rods make the front suspension action feel similar to a Bultaco front end.

As for rough downhills with the front end loaded up, the Majesty rods work very well straight out of the box. The gold valves require careful setup to get the right balance between compression damping and fork spring rate and fork spring pre-load to be as good as the Majesty damper rods when riding rough steep downhills but are just as good for this when set up.

Custom rear sprocket carrier

520 chain

Swingarm protector

Chain tensioner retained by a screw

Aluminium snail cams

Aftermarket shift lever

Rear wheel axle

Standard-looking carby

I still like that seat

Be careful that the ignition cables don't get damaged by the heat from the cylinder fin

Looks like you've made the new exhaust header

Haven't done the exhaust header yet but it has been repaired with some fairly heavy pipe at some stage

End of the chain tensioner mount had been cut & tapped at some stage

Both axles are 17mm aluminium, front threads into the fork leg as per the newer bikes

I plan on cutting & lengthening the ignition wires when time permits so that they run along the frame, looks tidier & as you say gets them away from the cylinder

Carb is standard except for #37.5 pilot jet & #200 main jet. The base of the airbox has had the step at the bottom removed & the filter is now at the top like the modern design of airbox so it breathes quite a bit better. I did think the #200 would have been too big but so far it seems right, it was originally fitted when the motor was worn out & sucking air through the crankseals

20180525_095720.jpg

20180525_095635.jpg

Kaikoura_2018_day_2.JPG

Edited by tony27
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

DT250b/c, I did the same to mine after seeing these photos. Gives a different look to the motor but weighs quite a bit more than the original. Compression may be slightly higher but not by a huge amount if it is

A small amount of trimming of the fins is needed for the exhaust to clear the head, I also took about 10mm off the rear to blend the head to the cylinder fins properly

• Like 1

Was in the UK back in April / May on holiday with the family. As well as buying a genuine Yamaha w/shop manual and a crank pullerer-inner w/shop tool, some smooth new Venhill clutch cables, i picked up some universal front mudguards, cut the flap off the rear, drilled some holes and reversed them. Look smarter, shorter and more modern than stock.

Also picked up two of Paul Cowley's Shedworks sexy-as-hell tank shelters i had ordered, and two plastic tanks i won on Ebay. Lucky we had 3 suitcases..........

023.thumb.jpg.980a24005a11d219fbf9987d15c445d0.jpg

On 8/15/2018 at 11:29 AM, scot taco said:

Very Nice looking TY monos thai-ty. I had a 350 that I should have kept,but it was near impossible to find a piston kit so I sold it.They are hard to find here and the 250 is even more rare.

Thanks, yeah they never had the 250 mono officially in the States, and we never got the 350 officially in Europe. By all accounts the 250 was a better motor, and sold a lot more numbers worldwide.

I had a 350, lots of chrome missing from around the exhaust port mainly so it rattled a fair amount but still ran well. Felt like being halfway up a ladder until I lowered the pegs, did my own disc brake conversion for the front wheel.

Disappeared from sight after I sold it to upgrade to a 95 Gas Gas JT350, as far as I know it hasn't reappeared in the last 20 years

• Like 1

Here is my 76 175 that followed me home after an event... I just got the engine back together after sending the crank out for a new rod,mains etc and a fresh bore and piston. A friend  did a nice job on the tank and exhaust guard and I resprayed the frame. Lots of small bits to get it back to reliable running and I have about 2 hours break in so far. Loving the light weight and handling. P1010017.JPG.2f8dac6cd9653f9363565c865f590b99.JPG

• Like 2