Show Us Your Ty

power175

Mine looked like that about 2 months ago but is up and running now.. Love the bike and plan on doing some vintage trials soon. The cool thing is parts are available out there if you have some good bones to start with.

• Like 1

After doing a faithful restore of a UK spec 76 TY175, I had some parts left over....10 years later, another one is saved/created! It actually rides very nicely, OKO carb, Boyesen reeds, RD350 inlet rubber, WES exhaust system, Miller footrest kit, Marcus Rex ignition system, took as much off the flywheel as I dared, NJB Ultimate shocks. Finished now but I just loved the tinkering, even though it took so long!

My_Own_Mighty_Mouse.jpg

• Like 4

Wow ! Very nice Rock...I like the yellow and all the bits you added. I didn't know the RD 350 inlet boot would work on the 175 so that will be a  good resource to look for. Did you use the stock air box and carb to airbox boot?

Sam

19 hours ago, sdm said:

Wow ! Very nice Rock...I like the yellow and all the bits you added. I didn't know the RD 350 inlet boot would work on the 175 so that will be a  good resource to look for. Did you use the stock air box and carb to airbox boot?

Sam

Hi Sam, the RD350 inlet is straight through rather than the "round the corner" standard item. I just had to remove a couple of rubber stubs that were in the way. I think the use of the WES system and OKO carb allow it to fit easily. I used the stock airbox but opened out the top cover as far as I could. The original boot wouldn't fit the OKO, so I had to improvise using a cut down rubber plumbing fitting at the OKO end and a length of that flexible aluminium auto intake pipe, actually turned out ok.

Cheers - Mark

• 1 month later...

Here we go - my most recent acquisition and trying to keep as bog standard as possible. IMO buy a modern bike if you want modern bike 'stuff' (know some of them look terrific but I like them pretty much as they were). Rest of 'fleet' there too in the world's messiest garage. Z50 clearly my favourite. 

I had a TY175 in about 1983 and it was my main means of transport back then but I then competed on it at the weekends. Nothing like carrying a petrol can in a backpack!

Think it's 1976 - about to get registered. I've cleaned it up a lot added a few new stock parts (or best replica versions).

First trial this Sunday (and I have literally not ridden it yet apart from on the drive at home). Could be interesting...

IMG-5004.JPG

IMG-6224.JPG

• Like 1

nb. having not had a 2T for a few years - mix for this 50:1? I bought Putoline TT Pro (Strawberry flavour which is pretty weird and not planning on drinking it) - will this do the trick?

Also, will it be OK on regular 95 unleaded or should I go for 98?

Thanks for any help!

• 1 month later...

Steve,

That is awesome,where did you find that?   Exactly same as mine...

Is that the one J George had years ago?

Ya know, I think there is enough these coming out of the woodwork to have a twin shock trials meeting.  you up for it?

8 hours ago, Bmonk said:

Steve,

That is awesome,where did you find that?   Exactly same as mine...

Is that the one J George had years ago?

Ya know, I think there is enough these coming out of the woodwork to have a twin shock trials meeting.  you up for it?

Yes I am interested, but I have some work ahead of me yet:

• Forks have no damping, no oil for sure but what else?
  • Need an airfilter, no source found yet
  • Need the tiny "O"ring for the main jet, no source found yet
  • Need sprockets and chain, ordered from England, but I hear other model stuff fits?
  • All cables(ordered), grips, fuel lines needed of course. 
  • Tires are hard and some weather cracking

Bike came from Lunenburg County. 

Engine has compression, steel reeds look good, brakes and wheel bearing seem good. I'll check the crank seals. A nice complete bike but aged bike. 

What else should I look at? Any Canadian parts sources suggested?

DSCF5024.

Is it possible to blue plate a 78 or 79?

DSCF5024.JPG

The carb o ring is available from Yamaha,I found one in my tool box that worked.there are two o rings in the carb replace them both.

the rear sprocket is dished ,it is the same as the one used on the tw200 ,only tw is steel not alum ...you can get them aftermarket in 51t, cheap   Front sprocket  is 12 teeth   Same as xt/dt   Allot of different models and brands use that spline size 428 chain ..just service the forks   New seals and oil  they are soft anyway

dont worry too much about tires now ,new tubes and if they hold air ....get some time on it ..then get tires

common issues are the kick start ratchet mech and worn shift lever cover plate /forks and difficult shifting.

your bike looks good ,you have fenders,nice tank,silencer...even both lights....do you have both switches and is your oil pump still there?

think you would have a difficult time getting a plate and would be strange to ride on the road....  my opinion.....most aftermarket throttle cables do not have a oil pump cable...so you know 

model code is 525      They are super easy to work on

Edited by Bmonk

On 11/19/2018 at 11:13 PM, Bmonk said:

The carb o ring is available from Yamaha,I found one in my tool box that worked.there are two o rings in the carb replace them both.

the rear sprocket is dished ,it is the same as the one used on the tw200 ,only tw is steel not alum ...you can get them aftermarket in 51t, cheap   Front sprocket  is 12 teeth   Same as xt/dt   Allot of different models and brands use that spline size 428 chain ..just service the forks   New seals and oil  they are soft anyway

dont worry too much about tires now ,new tubes and if they hold air ....get some time on it ..then get tires

common issues are the kick start ratchet mech and worn shift lever cover plate /forks and difficult shifting.

your bike looks good ,you have fenders,nice tank,silencer...even both lights....do you have both switches and is your oil pump still there?

think you would have a difficult time getting a plate and would be strange to ride on the road....  my opinion.....most aftermarket throttle cables do not have a oil pump cable...so you know 

model code is 525      They are super easy to work on

• I've bought a generic "O"ring set, but haven't tried to see if one fits yet. 
  • Found an OEM air filter on Partzilla, ordered
  • I do have the oil pump, but it is not on the bike, it does have the split cable, I ordered a single cable
  • It is a 1978 with matching engine# and I have a 1979 frame as well, no other spares
  • My switches are banged up, button broken. Haven't started, don't know if work
  • The pipe and silencer are very heavy, I suspect carboned up. How to clean and repack?
  • Tank is very rusty inside

DSCF5032.thumb.JPG.681b8499d02c5c589498b60c5479f00e.JPGDSCF5033.thumb.JPG.9b806a9b8d6ae1d4e36008fe38feb968.JPG

Thanks for the tips! I'm getting under way...