Show Us Your Ty

power175

3 hours ago, feetupfun said:

That sure looks great. I'm intrigued with the black shields/guards inboard of the footpegs

The number plate is cut from a plastic cat litter container from wall mart lol.The yellow is a good match and already had the curved edges.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

I have posted a pic of this before but thought I would add another just because I love this old war horse. We went riding this last Saturday which was probably the last one for the year. It was sunny and 45 degrees F. Today it,s 22 with snow and 35 mph wind gust making 2 ft tall snow drifts.

DF426D40-D4CD-45E3-916F-204DC5FC8A7A.jpeg

Edited by scot taco
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I just picked up this bike today.

It has a lot of cool stuff I know nothing about. Looks like a Mikuni carb and reed spacer, 520 chain conversion, Betor shocks, oil injection removed, that is what I can see for now. 

I am sure I will have lots of dumb questions but old guys with motorcycles are pretty cool. Looking forward to going through this bike and getting it straight.

Cheers,

Eric

IMG_20191230_142640.jpg

IMG_20191230_142651.jpg

IMG_20191230_142704.jpg

IMG_20191230_142710.jpg

• Like 1

Nice bike,looks like Ethanol has buggered all the plastic pipes - It will do the same to the fuel tank too.Looks like a Sammy Miller tank / seat unit like I had on my last TY250,the Ethanol wrecked it...  The footpegs have been moved back, they are now where everyone seems to have them. I don't know anything about the early 250 motors, FeetupFun is the man who really knows about them.All I would say is that the Ty250 is just about the best twinshock trials bike you will get in most respects.Mick Andrews and Yamaha got their sums right back in the day,and there is plenty of support and knowledge around to make them even better now.

• Like 1

Jon,

Thanks. Fuel lines are easy. Luckily, it looks like the tank was sealed at some time. It has been sitting for at least seven years and all of the sealer is starting to flake off. I am going to clean it out completely and reseal it. It will hold fuel, but no since in trying to run it with that mess in there. Thanks for the footpeg help. I thought they had been moved but was not sure.

Yours is an early A model TY250. It will probably have a engine number prefix 434 and frame number prefix 434. There is no reed spacer on your bike. The alloy plate you can see the edge of is part of the reed cage.

That carby is an aftermarket Mikuni. Easy to tell by the large spigot that the fuel hose goes onto and the idle air screw is on the wrong side. The original carby on the A model TY250 is a TK brand. The TK carby is good until it wears then not worth keeping because the wearing parts are expensive/unobtainable. Later model TY250s came with a Yamaha-Mikuni carby that was unique to the TY250. The B model TY250 Yamaha-Mikuni is different to the C,D,E models TY250 Yamaha-Mikuni. The important parts are not interchangable between the off-the-shelf VM26 Mikuni and either of the VM26 Yamaha-Mikuni carbies.

Your carby may well work well. If it does work well and is 26mm, please share the jetting specs because I've never been able to get the one I bought to work well on a TY250 motor.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

First post in 2020 (and the 1st for me on this forum) I suppose:

From right to left:

1975 TY80

1975 TY250

1975 TY175

1983 TY350

I recently picked up a '76 TY175 in red that's not in this picture, the other bikes are 2 antique Harley's and the KTM single track bikes my son and I ride.

20190808_181446.jpg

Edited by Dozer
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...