Show Us Your Ty

power175

Thanks, OK... So not having been around many more of these TY's than the two you see here..... How can you tell the year of the early one? 84.

Well they looked all like this one back in the day,85 they changed to S(steel Tank) and R model.The first 2 years the looked all liken yours.It was the bike to have back in the day.We here in europe had only 250's what a lot of people say where the better one's.I know that when Johnny Anderson(Sweden)had to ride for Yamaha in America,after a few rounds they shipped his 250 over.The best engine was a 270 coversion from John Shirt.

• 4 weeks later...

For you TY80 fans. A TY80 with an adult rider (over 200 lbs) finished both days of the Texas National riding the vintage class. Eight mile loop of very steep terrain. Sunday he cleaned my section that I was scoring twice!

Forgot to mention, his minder was also on a TY80!!!

Why yes, yes we were!  

IMG_6108_zps0mdnya3e.jpg

IMG_6090_zps4bfwu58a.jpg

:thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

post-14732-0-90452400-1452352363_thumb.jpgpost-14732-0-69492300-1452352551_thumb.jpgpost-14732-0-82726600-1452352644_thumb.jpgpost-14732-0-72687700-1452352665_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to show some photos of the TY 175 I got in 1979 which was one of the originally converted to Majesty 200 by John Shirt in Derbyshire, as part of the conversion the frames were nylon/plastic coated, the bottom of the frame was chopped and replaced with an aluminium bash plate, rear shockers were laid forward and the original shock absorber was replaced by gas girlings and engine bored out to 200cc I believe they used a TY 250 piston and base plate.

Last year I decided to give it a spruce up, I am hoping to show the bike however not sure where to do this, has anyone got any suggestions?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Nice restoration, just looking over the picture and I see you have added lights. I have an early 434 that is currently being fettled and wish to fit lights to it. Am I correct in thinking your lighting kit is one of those currently being advertised on the well known selling site,  and if so are you happy with it as it seems a logical way to go, considering what the kit includes.

Thanks for any input

Yes i did buy that lighting kit for a replacement headlight as the old one was really tatty and beyond restoration. i used all the original wiring loom and switches as the one that came with the kit was a bit advanced for me ! and the switches were different to that of stock. The only mod made is the foot rests but i have big feet ! as soon as shes ready im taking her out for a blast shes gonna be a well used machine. The lighting kit comes complete with everything you need, but the ty wiring loom is soooo simple. Just got to rebuild the carb tonight as petrol is weeeeeing out of the overflow at the minute !