Half Link For My Sherco Chain

bigmark1972

Anyone know where I can get a half link for my sherco chain?

I did not see one at RYP and I think I will need one.

My chain was too lose even at max adjust, I removed a link and now it's too short.....

I think I could probably get one from Mcmaster Carr but I am not sure what size the chain is, can anyone help?

It's a regina chain 2004 2.9.

Edited by bigmark1972

Anyway half links do exists and for a proper chain adjustment you sometimes need a half link,

as the length of the chain - as already stated before in post #5 - can vary due to which size

of sprockets you have.

Here a link were you can get half links:

- Half Link Regina 520: http://www.trialshop.net/shop/Technikzubeh%C3%83%C2%B6r/Ketten-Zahnkr%C3%83nze-Ritzel-Zubeh%C3%83%C2%B6r/Ketten/Halbglied-f%C3%BCr-Regina-Kette::516.html

- Half Link IRIS 520: http://www.trialshop.net/shop/Technikzubehör/Ketten-ZahnkrÃnze-Ritzel-Zubehör/Ketten/Halbglied-f%C3%BCr-520er-IRIS-Kette::513.html

You need too a second connecting link to mount the half link to your chain:

Beta.jpg

This is the better type. http://www.splatshop.co.uk/regina-chain-half-link.html Which is a factory made link and a half requiring two master links. The half links with the cotter key can be too wide and prone to coming apart. They can be made to be used without the cotter key by making it a rivet like the other links. Usually you do not need a half link for a tooth on the counter sprocket, by being creative on a larger rear is the time it is needed. Every time I have got a left over world round bike, it was fitted with a half link. Just odd gearing.

I will tell you that what you really need to do is leave the gearing alone and learn how to ride the bike. A 9 front is too low and makes first gear useless. A 42 rear is a halfway option that works if needed, but?.

Concentrate on clutch control and you will be better off. Force yourself to ride in a higher gear, mostly second on slower sections or even third. You are forced to use the clutch and apply power properly reguardless of revs and feel for traction.

I will tell you that what you really need to do is leave the gearing alone and learn how to ride the bike. A 9 front is too low and makes first gear useless. A 42 rear is a halfway option that works if needed, but?.

Concentrate on clutch control and you will be better off. Force yourself to ride in a higher gear, mostly second on slower sections or even third. You are forced to use the clutch and apply power properly reguardless of revs and feel for traction.

I have a 10t sprocket on the way as well, the old one was well worn that is the only reason I was looking for one in the first place.

I was recently reading another tread where someone said most with sherco's do drop to 9 teeth and that is why I ordered it in addition to the 10.

I know I need more time on the bike, I have a lot of respect for the skills required to do this well.

I do appreciate and listen to the advice you guys give me, I've taken the bark busters off as well ;)

Edited by bigmark1972
  • Like 1

Some bikes always had a half link, even when delivered to the customer, the Sherpa 199b for example. You can adjust the chain tension with the snails at the rear axle, but if you want to have them as less as possible sticking out and get damaged a half link is a very good solution in my personal opinion. As stated, the factory made links are better then the ones with the cotter key, but watch out for the diameter of the chain links, there are slightly differences between the chain manufactors ( not the roller, they are the same), therefore I posted two different ressources.