Cold Starting Problem...

sawtooth

Bike: '04 280 Pro

Had the bike a year, always started first or second kick when cold or hot, new plug fitted and gapped within the last month or so, new fuel, sparking OK etc. But, the last 3 times I've gone to take it out it's refused to start from cold, its taken 30+ kicks and when it finally does go its all bogged down and smokey like its flooded. When it first happened a couple of weeks ago I took the plug out to check the spark and the plug was wet, so guessing its somehow flooding itself while sat in the garage?! So last week I shut the fuel off (usually leave it on and its been fine), but went to start it again this week and ended up with the same problem as above?

Worth noting that once it has finally cold started, it hot starts fine for the whole day with zero running issues.

So what could cause just cold starting to play up? should I try a different plug gap? Or could the pilot jet be blocked?

Edited by sawtooth

The float shut off needle could be allowing fuel past due to dirt/wear which may explain the flooding issue when the bike was parked with the tap on, however, even with the tap off (make sure it's not on reserve position) it may still flood with fuel from a leaking tap. I had a problem on a 2004 GG, when the tap was turned the internal seal turned with the tap due to its locating peg being worn, this led to fuel starvation and engine cutting out briefly on long trails between sections, then when turning the tap off it effectively turned it on and would occasionaly flood when parked up. Hillarious.

The float shut off needle could be allowing fuel past due to dirt/wear which may explain the flooding issue when the bike was parked with the tap on, however, even with the tap off (make sure it's not on reserve position) it may still flood with fuel from a leaking tap. I had a problem on a 2004 GG, when the tap was turned the internal seal turned with the tap due to its locating peg being worn, this led to fuel starvation and engine cutting out briefly on long trails between sections, then when turning the tap off it effectively turned it on and would occasionaly flood when parked up. Hillarious.

Thanks, but I've checked the tap, and when its off no fuel gets passed.

It's about time I cleaned the carb anyway, but will this even help as the tap seems to be doing its job?

Thinking about it it may have developed this issue at around the same time i fitted a new plug, i'll try the old plug if I've still got it around.

i have a quadbike just like that, it has low compression and the spark is weak along with the carb playing up but when its hot it starts and runs like a dream, i find a quick overhall of the carb befor starting it helps aswell as heating the plug up before starting,

heating the plug up will make it easier for the spark to jump the gap therefor if it starts after the plugs heated up you know its somewere around that!

-power175

i have a quadbike just like that, it has low compression and the spark is weak along with the carb playing up but when its hot it starts and runs like a dream, i find a quick overhall of the carb befor starting it helps aswell as heating the plug up before starting,

heating the plug up will make it easier for the spark to jump the gap therefor if it starts after the plugs heated up you know its somewere around that!

-power175

Hmm ok so how should I heat it up? So if it starts easier with it heated up then I could have a weak spark for whatever reason?

I heat mine up on a gas hob but you can use a lighter or blow touch.

the spark could be worn points or if its magneto then they are to far apart.

it can also be more simple like a poor wire connection.

-power175

Correct me if I'm wrong but the '04 uses a stator and cdi no? So it could be an issue with one or both of those.

possibly, if still no use with plug heated up then try pouring some petrol directly into the carb. this will test if there is any fuel in it and if it fires up then its the carb.

if you've got a multi-meter try the cdi, engine outlet and cdi outlet.

i can help more in advanced if you can tell me how many pins the cdi has.

i would recommend trying to pour fuel into carb before looking into ignition as it will be easier to fix

-power175

possibly, if still no use with plug heated up then try pouring some petrol directly into the carb. this will test if there is any fuel in it and if it fires up then its the carb.

if you've got a multi-meter try the cdi, engine outlet and cdi outlet.

i can help more in advanced if you can tell me how many pins the cdi has.

i would recommend trying to pour fuel into carb before looking into ignition as it will be easier to fix

-power175

Thanks very much. Although I've just been out to the bike to try your suggestions and it started first kick! So I can't go try to fix it if i can't replicate the problem. Will have to leave it a day or two and try again.

I would start with a good cleaning of the carb. Particularly pay attention to the idle jet and passage as well as the starting circuit (this circuit acts like a choke). Also check the floats and needle valve.

To check the gasket in the fuel tap, disconnect the fuel hole from the carb, then turn the tap on and off and see when fuel flows or leaks.