Why Won't You Start!?

f1ngerbang

Hi all

Well I suffered a gear problem on my 250 TXT Pro resulting in the engine case being split, a couple of new gears being installed and then rebuilding. After a couple of head scratching moments it's all back together 'but' it won't fire up. I've cleaned the tank, stripped the carb, jets, fuel tap, spark plug and ensured the fuel hose isn't restricted. The carb is getting fuel as the bowl is filling and the floats are moving. When I've put a drop of fuel direct in to the head and kicked it has fired so I can only think the fuel just isn't getting through (as opposed to me wiring the kill switch incorrectly!).

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Check you have a strong spark at the plug.

Check the wiring. If you have had the engine out then it would have all been apart. Perhaps a couple of wires are cross connected or shorting out. Disconnect the kill switch to start.

After a recent rebuild I had connected two spade connectors the wrong way around in my rush to get it up and running, No reason why I should do that other than it was late at night.

On the fuel side if this is ok the plug should be getting wet, With the plug out you should also be able to look down the plug hole with a strong torch as see the gasses swirling as the kickstart is operated.

If you have a spark and fuel then you are left with compression and timing. Timing should be bang on if the key is right on the flywheel?

Good luck

A virtual pint goes to....... Boldilocks!! Checked everything including nipping to the garage for new fuel just in case what was in there had gone off and attempting to bump start it for what felt like 5 miles uphill. Just when my mate was about to go he said 'let's just check......' DAGNAMMIT!!!! Ok so I'll get a few of these minute pieces of pure evil (I mean really such a small piece knocks out the engine? Honestly!?!) will be bought. The things we learn eh!?

Thanks so much to all for the advice!