Unicycle Helps With Trials?

sammyd173

I've noticed that Amazon has unicycles for sale for about $100 delivered.

I'm wondering if learning to ride one of things would help with overall balance - think balancing on the rear wheel - or if it would actually teach some bad habits that would confuse your muscle-memory for trials?

Anyone have any experience and care to comment?

It really hones your skill.... of bandaging!!! Hehehehehehe And buy some monkey butt cream for the "near the boys" initial chaffing!!!

I'd imagine any form balancing practice would be good for trials? I'd prefer something a little closer to earth in event of first falls... and more wheels... like the little clown trikes!

I had a go on one once and was the only person who was able to ride the little trike.... my first two attempts were not good as I soon realised if you lean (even slightly) forward or backward you go over bars or fall back on backside! I was determined and eventually got it.... there was a crowd looking on so I had to give it a good go!

If you get the unicycle I'd find a beam and drop two ropes, one for each hand, grab rope/ropes for support and then get on it. Don't forget it has a very high centre of gravity (opposite to a trials bike) so will never be still, you have to rock the pedals back and forth to static it. Sorta like we do on our static, the footpegs slightly rocking side to side or bars slightly back and forth.

And as you pedal the thing wants to turn in the opposite direction of the pedal forced down.... you would have to learn how to counteract this force as you pedal each time.

Wear some armour and pads for first goes.... AND a helmet!

Mags

Edited by mags

Ok first hand experience - I used to build and ride unicycles.

I also did a heap!!!!!!! Of other things to try to get better at trials.

Did it help. Not really. I could have but really I would go spend that same money on a one day coaching session with a pro. Get a mate to video it if you are allowed. Every time I have been to a coach it has helped a lot more than I ever thought it would.

First rule of unicycle safety---let the thing fall, don't try to save it, just step off! Get a sturdy enough unit that will survive being dropped repeatedly. My Schwinn uni was dropped thousands of times and only needed a new seat cover.

Thanks for the replies. I think it would be fun to have one if these but if my goal is to get better at trials I might spend my time better balancing and hopping on my mountainbike. I think I'll ask for one for my birthday though!