Sammy Miller Series

laird387

Hi,

One of the projects planned for our digital magazine, ORRe, is a profusely illustrated review of how the Sammy Miller trials series has developed over the years, bearing in mind that I was directly involved in the creation of the series and have an excellent selection of archive images to draw upon.

As an appetite whetter here is an image taken at the 2014 Sammy Miller round organised by the Ilkley Motor Club, taken by Barry Robinson.

It shows Ben Wilmore on a very interesting development of a Honda-based machine. Enjoy.

Remember the Offroad Archive images that you see are published on the internet exclusively by myself on this 'trials central' website, any others that you see on the internet are being published illegally and strictly without my cooperation.

Meantime, enjoy.

post-19290-0-95687100-1409302359_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I haven't the results to hand, so can't verify the details but I know this is Chris Denney in the 2007 Sammy Miller round at Ilkley photographed by Barry Robinson.

Judging by what little you can see of the machine i"m guessing it's one of the 'new' 250 James models currently around.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-19608900-1409327768_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

One of the vital aims of the championship series that I created that later became the Sammy Miller series, was to get as many average standard riders actually involved and enjoying themselves. The sections were very carefully chosen by either myself or colleagues that I trusted to make sure that 25% would take marks from all bar the most skilful riders - but would still allow everyone to get through the 'Ends' cards, albeit like a caterpillar. 50% were set to be rideable - but with minor challenges somewhere in the section that would need watching, the remaining 25% were intentionally set to be cleanable by virtually everyone. Boring to observe, I know, but truly inspiring to the novice or slightly incompetent riders who could relate to his mates - "Did you see how I cleaned that section 8........"

One thing is for sure - he would be at the next round and probably persuade some of his mates to come along as well. Yes, there were still winners in each class - but the real winner was the sport.

I'm happy to see that in the more recent events there are riders coming along just for the fun - 'cos that is what it is all about.

Riders like Mark Stokes who brought his very tidy Yamaha to the 2008 Sammy Miller round organised by the Ilkley club.

Photo by Barry Robinson, enjoy.

post-19290-0-26075400-1409394797_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Can anyone put a name to this happy Enfield Bullet rider, in the Beck at Cowling in the 1995 West Riding round of the Sammy Miller series.

Enjoy.

(Thanks to '61 ajs', yes it is Trevor Taylor, a regular member of the old Lancs and Yorks Classic club before it split up into the separate clubs each side of the machine gun emplacements on top of the Pennines.............)

Deryk Wylde

post-19290-0-02537900-1409499867_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Now here is a little puzzle - who is this Gasgas rider, in the 2012 Sammy Miller series round organised by the Ilkley club.

If anyone has copies of the results sheets, with rider numbers and names, of any of the Ilkley Sammy Miller rounds for any of the past ten years, please, please take a close-up photo with your digital camera and email the photo to me at offroarchive@gmail.com - I have hundreds of unidentified images which need to be catalogued into the archive and then used in ORRe.

This photograph by Jack Knoops, enjoy.

post-19290-0-94023400-1411120945_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Another image from the Sammy Miller series, this time it's Stephen Bisby riding in the 2008 round organised by the Ilkley club and photographed by Barry Robinson.

Don't forget I am telling the story of the Sammy series over several issues of the digital magazine, ORRe, available ONLY from this website - unlike most other publications, ORRe concentrates on extended pictorial coverage with photographs primarily of the also-rans, simply because they make up the bulk of every event and without them there would be no competition, and, what is more there are always plenty of pictures of the star riders everywhere else. If you subscribe to the magazine which costs a maximum of £12 a year, and that covers at least twenty issues, you can have copies of any of the photographs totally free of charge.........you tell me where you can find better value than that?

ORRe-issue7 goes live this weekend - and if you subscribe you automatically get every issue including the back issues included - value for money or not?

post-19290-0-90350800-1411813171_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

It's Alzheimer time again - please can anyone remember this rider's name, seen on his rigid Matchless in the '98 Greensmith Memorial round of the Sammy Miller series. Photographed by yours truly!

(Thanks to Graham Howes, who has banished Al the Tzeimer by reminding me that it is Cliff Barnes - and I agree with Jon v8, 'tis a nice looking bike)

Thanks

Deryk Wylde

post-19290-0-56300600-1411891186_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 3

No idea who the rider is,but what a beautiful looking bike. :thumbup:

Hi Jon,

It's very sad, I remember him well - he rode in the series probably the whole of the ten years that I was the co-ordinator - but can I remember the name..........

Hopefully somebody will - and I have plenty more photos - but most are going in ORRe these days.

Once again we've done something unique - when somebody takes out the £10 per annum subscription, they get not only the next year's issues - but all the back issues instantaneously - now I've never seen that done before - unless someone knows differently.........

Cheers

Deryk

Hi,

Spotted in the 2007 round of the Sammy Miller series organised by the Ilkley club, sadly we can't see his number - so does anyone revcognise this rder of a very tidy Cub?

Photo; Barry Robinson

(Thanks to sparks - it is Alan Whitton - cheers,Deryk)

post-19290-0-06622200-1411992008_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

Hi,

Several members have shown interest in the old AMC machines, so here's another to whet your appetite.

I've known - and used to ride with - Chris Bradley for many years and he has stayed faithful to his AJS 347cc for all that time - but over time he has used his engineering and fabricating skills to 'evolve' the old girl.

This was the machine in 2008 at the Sammy Miller round organised by the Ilkley club, photographed by Barry Robinson.

If you would prefer the photographs without the intrusive watermark, then cough up a subscription to ORRe - 'cos there are no watermarks there - and hundreds of images of classic machines and historic scenes!

Enjoy.

Deryk Wylde

post-19290-0-43843100-1412059428_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

It's time for the armchair sleuths again, this photograph by Barry Robinson was taken at the 2008 round of the Sammy Miller series organised by the Ilkley club.

Sadly his number is indecipherable so we can't translate his name from the results sheet......

Enjoy - and please HELP........

(Chris Denney - thanks to woody)

post-19290-0-71794800-1413741044_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1