Sammy Miller Series

laird387

Hi,

One of the projects planned for our digital magazine, ORRe, is a profusely illustrated review of how the Sammy Miller trials series has developed over the years, bearing in mind that I was directly involved in the creation of the series and have an excellent selection of archive images to draw upon.

As an appetite whetter here is an image taken at the 2014 Sammy Miller round organised by the Ilkley Motor Club, taken by Barry Robinson.

It shows Ben Wilmore on a very interesting development of a Honda-based machine. Enjoy.

Remember the Offroad Archive images that you see are published on the internet exclusively by myself on this 'trials central' website, any others that you see on the internet are being published illegally and strictly without my cooperation.

Meantime, enjoy.

Jon Bliss was entered on one of his creations, a Cotswold Cub 150 at the Greensmith Trial.It looked the same as this, so possibly he built it. Jon informed me it weighed about 130 Ibs. About the same as my Pre unit BB32A engine and trick footrests put together. We all choose what we want to ride..

• 1 month later...

I remember one round,i think it was the Greensmiths,Pete Remington had a selector problem with his Enfield gearbox.To his amazement Colin Hedges and myself proceeded to strip the gearbox in the woods with the bike led on its side,there were bits everywhere! We got it working fine and he finished ok and beat Colin and myself,much to every ones amusement! Great memories!

• Like 1

Could the Enfield Rider at the West Riding Trial be Pete Remington.I know he had a brief flurry on an Enfield way back,but i thought he wore glasses so im not sure.

Hi dursleydabber,

Hope you enjoyed yourself in the original Sammy Miller series - now, on to your point, no it is definitely not Pete Rem - Pete and I are old mates and I certainly know very well what he looks like, no the rider in Cowling Beck, to the best of my memory was one of the local Yorks Classic members (or to be more accurate, Yorks and Lancs Classic, 'cos the club hadn't split at that time) I don't remember seeing him other than in the Captain's Trial, the West Riding, Shawforth Shake and the Scarborough Two-day. He might even have been from the Poacher's area but I don't think so - I have vague memories of Howard Midgley helping him with bits..........

PS. Is your latest bike Gerry's old one?

Deryk

Edited by laird387

Hi. I'm pretty sure the pre-unit rider in the beck at Cowling is the gentleman school teacher, Trevor Taylor, who, from memory also campaigned a Crusader and Cub. I'm surprised no other period Yorks Classic member hasn't nailed that distinctive 'tache & riding gear, since October. Cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I'm pretty sure the pre-unit rider in the beck at Cowling is the gentleman school teacher, Trevor Taylor, who, from memory also campaigned a Crusader and Cub. I'm surprised no other period Yorks Classic member hasn't nailed that distinctive 'tache & riding gear, since October. Cheers.

Hi 61 ajs,

Yes, you are absolutely spot on - as soon as I read your posting the name clicked. I'm still wading through piles of old negatives, scanning them at high resolution and getting them into an easier to work with digital catalogue, so that I can then really press on with various machine projects for ORRe. I have read most of the literature on most of the various marques and their development and I know for a fact that the 'competition' models from the various factories were never really covered in detail - so with a bit of luck and a following wind I aim to correct that glaring omission.

Sadly I am being hampered by so many old friends passing away, leaving me with even less reliable sources to check verifications with - and then I look at the other pile of negatives that Mary and I took whilst I was adding my bit to get pre-65 then classic scrambling off the ground and the mind boggles...............

Enjoy!

Hi Guy's.

Deryk,

I think we all should applaud you for the effort you have put into the ORRe Project, Without what you are doing,to write history about the past British Competition Models,

most of us are just stabbing in the wind.

Your knowledge on these machines I have found amazing, And I could not do what I am doing without your help. Thanks for that.

Look Have a Very Merry Christmas mate you deserve it.

Regards Charlie.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Deryk,sorry i replied to that again im new so still working it all out.The matchless i ride now is indeed Gerrys old bike.After Gerry passed away late 2006 we did not know what was happening to his bikes,so i asked his family if i could borrow the Matchy to ride in that years xmas trial in cowcombe woods stroud.Now i must explain that Gerrys ashes[andPpennys] are scatered by the cross in the centre off the woods.A memorial stone marks the spot! I was asked to ride Gerrys bike with his and Pennys ashes on the back into the woods to meet his family.[we did a few sections on the way].We won the trial on a clean sheet,a very emotional moment i can assure you!I was later told by his family his wishes were i was to have the bike and ride it as he did!When we previously spoke,he hinted at this,i promised him i would win the Sammy Miller Champs on it,this we did five times on the trot.Every time i ride it Gerrys name is mentioned! Inciddently its a Oct 1951 model not 53.The alloy motor is still in it [matching nos] but at the time Barry took that pic the motor was filthy and looked iron! Ive cleaned it since to make it lighter!The matchbox is all original, crappy old forks,mag,hubs,rims,clutch,engine etc i havnt changed owt! Even his bent handle bars ive kept on!.A proper old bike! Gerry obtained the bike from the AMC works thru his old mate and fellow Bexley Heath club member a certain Gordon Jackson,Apparantly it was a trade supported bike ridden by Mike Nicholson.[Alloy bikes were rare then and only given to select riders i believe]he rode it as a rigid then springer converted,then sidecar then back to Rigid in the very first pre65 trials.I feel extremely proud to carry on the legend.

• Like 2

Hi Steve

I am very happy to see Gerry's traditions living on - he was a very good reliable friend and I was very touched when he asked top be allowed to be one of Mary's pallbearers.

She would have wriggled just to make it awkward for him - they were great mates.

I'm getting right back into the writing again - determined to get as much accurate history down as I can whilst I'm still around

Deryk

Hi Guy's.

Hi Deryk.

I am so glad you are getting back in the groove, or slot as we Old trials riders say.

I am getting second wind now, I stood to long looking at the last section, like what Wright'y does.

And was thinking of asking for a five.

But has you see I am now probably back up for the challenge, and the rule change in the Sammy Miller Championships has made me even more determined.

Speak soon.

Regards Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Deryk, GerryHoldstock was also a pallbearer at my Fathers funeral.When he went to grab one off the handles on the coffin,he was told by the funeral director that if he pulled any harder it would fall off as they were only glued on!We all had a bit off a laugh about that![as i expect the old chap did aswell] Gerry was a great character that was always part off the pre 65 scene right from the start.He was a true gentleman and genuine.He would Rollock you if u messed up,but praise you if you did well! A rare quality.He had many words off advice when asked,but he always told it how it was,whether you liked it or not! We all had immense respect for him and he was like a Grand father to me.