My First Go! Balance, Tight Turns, Kicker Ramp...

ben888

Your videos are really great, they have been a MASSIVE help with the techniques. However, my brain had forgotten half of it once I got on the bike!!.....

thanks ben, i'll pass that on to the guys at the club too who i film quite a bit. absolutely no offence to the professionals, but at times on their videos they'll do some double back flip zappy thing with a twist of lemon up a rock face and they say "see? easy!".so we thought we'd do this series with average joes riding instead, imperfect though the techniques might be...

re: forgetting it all once on the bike, same here! as jimmie says, just start with tight turns and balance and slowly work up from there but most importantly just have fun.

we are thinking of a training video on tongue positioning during tricky techniques, which we suspect might be the most important step of all. :-)

• Like 1

Haha, the tongue sticking out is a great aid to concentration. I wonder if I'll do it when visualising the section!!

Did the figure 8 today but set it up on a bit of a slope and put a pile of broken concrete blocks and 4" diameter branches in one corner. It looked a bit scary to do slowly but I was surprised how quickly my confidence increased to get round in a controlled manor. I even had a go at getting over a 14" log, not very impressive I know but it was a personal milestone :). No video this time I'm afraid, battery flat on the camera...

Feeling good about Sundays trial, it's going to be great to learn and have FUN!

Dont forget! When checking out the sections... if the turns are mainly left handed put ya penis to left side of pants zip and vice versa! That, in conjunction with the tongue position can easily save a dab or two!

Keep an eye out... you'll see many guys making an adjustment just before they hit the section!

Mags

Dont forget! When checking out the sections... if the turns are mainly left handed put ya penis to left side of pants zip and vice versa! That, in conjunction with the tongue position can easily save a dab or two!

Keep an eye out... you'll see many guys making an adjustment just before they hit the section!

Mags

damn, there's definitely going to be a video now! dressing to the left for left hand turns... :chairfall:

i wonder what the equivalent is for all the girls in the club... a bra readjustment?

Mags

Just don't get caught staring you may not be asked back... If you can't make up your mind and switch back and forth more than 3 times it is considered playing with yourself.

Of course adjusting you penis while footing is a 5 - like I mentioned before it is good to check the rules. To be truthful they don't mention your penis but you do have to keep your hands on your handlebars while footing according to the AMA anyways. I heard of a guy getting a 5 for quickly adjusting his glasses with a foot down.

Mags

Only watch for the purposes of learning proper technique........

Yes!!!! The Trials Face!!!! ^_^ I think a documentary is needed to fill that particular void!

Jimmie

After many adjustments the "Trials Face" will be made, followed by a nap.

Just don't get caught staring you may not be asked back... If you can't make up your mind and switch back and forth more than 3 times it is considered playing with yourself.

Of course adjusting you penis while footing is a 5 - like I mentioned before it is good to check the rules. To be truthful they don't mention your penis but you do have to keep your hands on your handlebars while footing according to the AMA anyways. I heard of a guy getting a 5 for quickly adjusting his glasses with a foot down.

Some of us have smaller equipment than others.....Observer may not even notice if it being adjusted.

"Some of us have smaller equipment than others.....Observer may not even notice if it being adjusted."

My understanding is that most trials riders have larger balls than the general public - one of the reasons trials riders had to removed their seats, as they would just get in the way.

Looking forward to hearing how Ben made out, hopefully he didn't get scared off thinking we are all a bunch of jack asses :).

"Some of us have smaller equipment than others.....Observer may not even notice if it being adjusted."

My understanding is that most trials riders have larger balls than the general public - one of the reasons trials riders had to removed their seats, as they would just get in the way.

Looking forward to hearing how Ben made out, hopefully he didn't get scared off thinking we are all a bunch of jack asses :).

i'm sure he won't (unless he read our past few posts here) hehe!

Hey guys, you won't scare me off that easily!

Well, the first trial is in the bag, shoulders aching well and can't wait for the next event!

I went with the beginner route. It was made up of 5 sections in a woods on the side of a moderately steep hill. We ran the sections twice in both directions. What can I say.. Great fun, good company, some dabs, some 5s, managed to stay the right way up! The 17yr old Beta did me proud, didn't miss a beat.

I learnt a lot about off camber turns today! Lots of them on the very dry, loose ground under the trees. It was nice to do the sections more than once so mistakes the first time round could be given another bash.

It's quite humbling riding trials, I've been riding bikes all my life but trials really shows up what skills need more work! BUT... It's hugely satisfying to get right and very addictive!

My 15yr old lad wants a go now, and probably not long before his younger brother too! Might be needing more bikes!! :)

By the way, some gopro footage is currently uploading to YouTube. I'll post it once it's done, it's being real slow... :(

Did I mention the aching shoulders!! Lol

Edited by ben888
  • Like 2

Thanks Mags!

Here is a youtube link. It starts real easy, some small log hopping near the middle, but if you skip towards the end of the video you can see the hill and off camber turns.

It always looks flatter and simpler on film doesn't it!!

Had to be careful where i pointed the camera, didn't want to capture any 'adjustments' !!

Edited by ben888
  • Like 1

That looked like a great way to be spending a day.

Did you ride the same section more than once before moving to the next? We typically ride the whole loop makes it a bit tougher to remember the section when you get back to it :)

As far as adjustments you might need to be a bit more careful next time... LOL LOL

adjustment_zps655698e3.png

Edited by michael_t