Lakes 2 Day Trial

mickwren

It's not, it is too hard for someone who has just entered into trials. Even for riders who have been riding for years if they aren't up tp a certain standard.

It's a national standard event and even the 'easy' course is reasonably demanding as it's not just the sections you have to deal with. There are a good number of miles that take you over moor crossings, rough tracks, bogs etc and you're riding for around 5 o 6 hours without much rest.

It's impossible to give an indicator of what level you need to be at as it's difficult to 'measure' someone's ability. One option would be to find riders in your club or area that have ridden it, look at what level of rider they are and how you stack up against them if you ride the same events, see how they find the trial, look at how many marks they've lost in previous Lakes events and it should give you an idea of how hard you'd find it.

It's a wonderful event but if a rider isn't good enough, they'll crash continuously, hurt themselves, damage the bike and their confidence and probably hate it.

• Like 1

Thanks for putting me off then, it's pretty close so I will probably pop down and have a look, on foot!

I had a look at the videos sherconoob posted in another thread and I would say I could just about manage a clubman event, I think I'm ok with finding good lines but would not be so clever with the very slow tight turns as I've not had enough practice.

Thanks again and my apologies for diverting the thread

hi there

Barrow and district mcc and Bootle scramble club use some of the land thats used in the Lakes 2 day , so its good to do a couple of there club trials, to get to know the land first.

id be looking at a good clubman or green route rider minimum, it is hard, its renowned for being a bit hard but as Woody said its a national

i think il have a go this year

I did the Lakes 2 day as my 4th trial only 3 weeks after starting trialling. I lost about 300 marks and was not far off last. It was in January in those days. Saturday was quite pleasant and sunny with only an odd shower. Sunday was bitterly cold rain with snow on the tops of the hills, I can remember trying to warm my hands in turn by holding them against the barrel. It was certainly a learning experience and at times I wondered why I was doing it.

If you can ride for the number of hours consider doing it and miss out any hard sections you don't like the look of.