Rev 3 Which One? Any Problems?

james111089

Weak spots? - Some of the older Rev's reported problems with the electronics (stator). On the other hand, I have an '01 that I bought new, and it's been absolutely flawless. So you might get lucky.

Is any year better then others? Not really. They never made *major* changes from one year to the next. In '02 they went to a straight swingarm, the usual tweaking with the front pipe, etc. One thing they did redisign that makes things easier after '01: a redesign of access to the air filter. Oh - each year they claim to have lightened the bike from the previous years. I've ridden some newer Rev's, and indeed their front ends feel a bit lighter than mine (not that mine is an anchor, mind).

Things to look for? What color do you prefer? LOL..other than asking about electronics, I don't know that they are known for any common build problems.

Whats the power delivery like? Very, very smooth, especially at low rpm's. Kind of a hallmark of that engine. Not the sudden snap the my wife's Gasser has (which has it's place, don't get me wrong. But the GG's sure not as smooth down low. It's easier for us "mortals" to keep control with the Beta power curve I think). Lots of torque - will pull you up Everest. (Er...Everest Drive, near my house. But it's REALLY steep ;) )

The usual things - excellent ergonomics, reliable as a stone, and power out the wazoo. But like most people will tell you: try to ride them all before you decide. Each one has its own personality, and you might find yourself more comfortable with one versus the other.

If you DO choose the Beta though, I think you'll be rewarded with a bike that starts every time, has great, friendly handling characteristics, and churns out more power than you'll ever need.

Good luck!

• Like 1

In the past 6 months I've owned 3 Betas: In order, a 2002 270, a 2004 200 and a 2003 250 (my current bike). A had the 270 for almost 2 years and it was great for messing around on and the occasional easy trial but the huge amounts of power available (and the snappy way in which that power was delivered) meant that it very often got me into more trouble than my modest abilities could get me out of. Many of the top experts in my area ride Rev3 270s and I can see why - the trouble is, I'm nowhere near expert level and when I started to take competition more seriously it was obvious to me that the 270 wasn't the most suitable bike. If you're an experienced rider, give the 270 a go but be warned that it's similar to the Gasser 280 Pro in many respects - you need to be able to handle it!

I tried a 200 because many people on this site recommended the smaller bike as an excellent way to improve the technical aspects of your riding due to the fact that you can't simply rely on the power to drag you through sections - you actually have to ride the thing. That's exactly what I found and in my first trial on the 200 my score was significantly better than what I'd ever achieved previously in events of similar difficulty (on the 270). The problem was, I didn't enjoy riding it. It was OK in trials although long trailrides between sections were a pain due to the lack of grunt and I'm sure that if I'd kept it I'd be a better rider than I am now. But when riding "socially" which is very important for me, I just kept wanting more power. Ideally I'd have a 270 for fun and a 200 for competition but finances don't currently allow 2 bikes. If you're lighter than 14 stone or so, a novice or only ever ride in competition, the 200 would be a perfect choice. For me as a ham-fisted, overweight thirtysomething who likes to ride often and compete occasionally it just didn't work.

I now have a 250 which I find to be an ideal do-it-all bike. It's got more than enough grunt to be a laugh when out with the mates but the power delivery is much softer than the 270 and it doesn't have to be dragged around sections like the 200. Works for me!

It's true that many Rev3's have problems with the electrics, usually the stator. As far as I can tell, this is caused by moisture getting into the ignition and corroding the coils. Whenever I wash the bike one of the last things I do is remove the flywheel cover (and flywheel if I can be bothered) and give everything a blast of WD40 and I've never had one fail on me. Apart from that, I can only echo what Buster's already said: All Betas are smooooth (I love that turbine-like clutch noise), the Paioli suspension is superb (especially the forks) and apart from the occasionally dodgy electrics (which I believe can be avoided with simple regular maintenance), they're absolutely bulletproof.

Hope this helps!

Edited by neonsurge

Had two stators go in five trials. There are good ones and bad ones. The water thing may have been a contibuting factor for the first stator. Certainly wasnt for the second one.

Beta build quality is generally excellent. Have known a couple of riders have kick starts break on 04's (one on a 200!)

Italian electrics have always been suspect.............you should try running a Ducati, Guzzi or Laverda.........if you thought Betas had probs!!

...or an Alfa Romeo, or a Maserati, or a Fiat....

Seems they don't do eletrickery very well!!!

My '01 Rev 3 has been an excellent beast of burden. I've had it since it was about 6 months old, and I've had to replace the CDI unit, a sparkplug, a rear tyre, wheel bearings and several sets of fork seals...and thats about it. And I ride in all sorts of weather - lots of wet and mud.

The handlebars are prone to bending out of shape, as are the footpegs.....well, they do if you're anywhere as good at crashing as I am!! ;)

Cheers

Chris Mo.

Don't be too hard on the Italian's or I'll be forced to mention two words.

(lucas electrics!) ;)

I once heard the only reason early MG's had spoked wheels was so you

could bash the starter with a tire tool through the wheel.

Edited by Brian R

Ha! My dad had a Triumph TR-4 when I was a kid (British Racing Green, of course) and a Norton Atlas. Much as he loved them both, he was also fond of pointedly saying "Lucas - God of Darkness!" whenever he had to pull out his trusty VU-meter again. (Absolutely brilliant machines otherwise though. Don't know when I've had as much fun behind the wheel since - even in my nifty Impreza WRX.)

Theres a couple other points James...which have been mentioned many times on previous posts...so do a search....but to be honest they're only very small things, like the exhaust mounting points etc.....(which are really much better from the 04 onwards)...but like I say its only small points...I would think basically its just down to which one you like to ride the most/what your budget is/which colour you like! :D

OK, time for me to put in my two cents worth. I have an 01 Rev which I bought new and with the exception of the black box going once (early on) the bike has been flawless. I compete in 10 to 13 events a year and practice quite regularly so the bike is well used. Aside from the normal wear and tear; chain, sprocket, tires, breaks etc the bike is super reliable. It runs great, performs excellently and for a bike its age is flawless.