Ready To Nuke My Gas Gas

sammyd173

I'm at my wits end... any suggestions appreciated.

I have an '04 TXT Pro 280. Took her to her first trial last weekend. The bike pops at idle so badly that she surges forward with each pop. Not helpful when trying to negotiate full lock turns.

What I've done:

-Cleaned all the jets and every hole in the carb with compressed air

-Fiddled endlessly with the fuel screw (Dellorto VHST 26mm)

-Cleaned and re-sealed the exhaust header gasket

-Cleaned and re-sealed the intake

-Checked the reeds

-New plug

-Put in fresh gas, clean filter, clean coolant

-Repacked the silencer

-Checked the jetting compared to suggested jetting

Only thing I haven't done is clean out the mid-pipe, but the bike pops right from a cold start through to when she's hot.

If there is an air leak elsewhere it's beyond my capabilities to check. I've had the bike for a week, maybe I just need to flip it? Only $1,900 so I don't want to put too much money in to her. The only option from here I can think of is to ship her to Lewisport to be checked out, but that's not a cheap proposition.

Any ideas? Ignition?

Uneven low speed running can have so many causes it is difficult to advise over internet.

You do need to carry out a pressure check, its not hard. All you need is a bung for the inlet and a blanking plate with a shrader (tyre) valve for the exhaust port at the barrel.

Can you borrow a known good HT coil?

On a 2004 my suspicion would be crank seals and piston / ring / bore wear.

Thanks so much for the reply.

The bike has so much bloody compression that I didn't think about the top end. Considering however it really doesn't make more power than my Beta Techno this could a culprit. I think the bike has had a lot of use. I can do a top end myself but someone else would need to tend to the crank seals. Can I cheat on the top end and just put a new ring in to see if that is a step in the right direction?

It should be a lot more powerful than aBeta Techno I'd get a second opinion from a more experienced rider They weren't a bike for an inexperienced rider when new doubt it's better now Unfortunetly it seems like wallet thinning time hard to diagnose it without seeing or hearing it but previous replies sound a good place to start

Suggest:-

Test ride on similar bike if possible to see if different or way it should run although if less power than a techno something is wrong.

Check with previous owner for any changes made?

How good is petrol/oil mix you are using, could it be contaminated/left for long time. I had a bike run badly and flushed out the petrol and it ran fine - although petrol was "new" it must have been a bad batch. Might be worth trying a different batch. Is the octane ok - not sure what gassers need.

Set mixture screw - with reasonable tick over - screw mixture in until revs drop, screw out until revs drop - set between these 2 points. If revs do not drop either way or screw is right in or out could be jet sizes, air leak or other issues.

Check timing as mentioned above - might have been retarded to soften power. This is not a big job but requires a puller and tool to hold flywheel.

Carbs can be difficult especially if worn - any chance of borrowing one off a different bike which runs well and testing with this.

After that it is more difficult things like air leaks or swapping electrical parts from other bikes.

Good luck

Melba

If it's a pro the timing is not adjustable on the stator. My 300 pro had a similar issue and although had what I thought was plenty of compression. When the ring gap was checked it was found to in excess of specs, bore was fine and within tolerences and a new piston and rings cured it all. Also unfortunately on the pro engine ou have to split the cases to change the main seals if that proves to be the problem.

If it's a pro the timing is not adjustable on the stator. My 300 pro had a similar issue and although had what I thought was plenty of compression. When the ring gap was checked it was found to in excess of specs, bore was fine and within tolerences and a new piston and rings cured it all. Also unfortunately on the pro engine ou have to split the cases to change the main seals if that proves to be the problem.

This.

I'm pretty certain the timing is stock and hasn't been fiddled with (an assumption).

The problem is at idle with throttle closed. I talked to someone about a different pilot and he said the fuel screw covered the range of several pilot jets so if the screw is not getting me any benefit this is not the problem.

The fact that the bike just sounds a bit clapped out and makes unremarkable power makes me think the top end is shagged.

Now the worst part. A top end kit was quoted as $350. However these older bikes apparently used a discontinued piston and rings and so I may need a new cylinder too, total cost $650.

Many thanks for ALL the replies, they were all read and appreciated.