Ready To Nuke My Gas Gas

sammyd173

Question on float level. When I turn the carb upside down the brass tongs are not parallel.

When I push down on them, which depresses the plunger that regulates fuel into the float bowl, they are then perfectly parallel.

Are they supposed to be parallel before the plunger is depressed?

Question on float level. When I turn the carb upside down the brass tongs are not parallel.

When I push down on them, which depresses the plunger that regulates fuel into the float bowl, they are then perfectly parallel.

Are they supposed to be parallel before the plunger is depressed?

yes.

Used carb cleaner instead of just air on the jets, switched to 91 pump gas instead of race gas, raise the float levers. Bike no longer pops at idle, and the idle screw is much further out. Either she was not getting enough fuel in the float bowl to sip on or I managed to clean something out. Bike still crackles too much when opening her up though. Hopefully the larger pilots I have on order will help. If not I'm getting a Kehin.

Thanks Lineaway for convincing me to stick at it; I'd be $600 poorer for a top end kit by now and I wouldn't be doing any better!

Not sure why the guy at trialspartsusa recommended using Dot 3 brake fluid to sit in the mid pipe. Absolutely no carbon came out after it sat all night. I thought I flushed it out pretty good with brake cleaner and water, but the bike was puking residual brake fluid when she was running today and she was smoking a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

What copemech said, sounds normal!

Get someone experienced to ride the bike for a second opinion, though you need to use the clutch on these bikes when turning tight.

You have chosen possibly one of the most inappropriate bikes to learn on.

If this is the worst to learn on (I'm new and have a txt pro 280), what is the best? A 250? Can you put a 250 cylinder on a 280?

Okay I think the main culprit here ended up being a clogged mid pipe. I thought I had cleaned it with the dot 3 brake fluid but that did nothing. Ended up using degreaser and soap (I know) and the bike runs much better. Also found a hole in it which I plugged.