Enduro On A Trials Bike?

hrmad

Hi,

There is a local enduro on this Sunday, I want to enter it but I don't have a big enduro or mx bike but want to go out and get some practice regardless. I'm not that comfortable with speed, I thought a bit of competition might get me going and improve my confidence.

This enduro is classed as a 'gentle one' about 3 and a half miles long, fairly easy going but could get real muddy with the 80 odd bikes going around. I think it's an hour and a quarter one way, then the reverse after lunch.

My beta is quite nippy up in 4th and 5th gear, and I figure it would be good to go on a longer run with it to build up some endurance before my first trial.

The enduro isn't part of a championship or points or anything like that. But I am concerned I won't be able to keep up with the other bikes and might get barged past. Plus I'll probably be the only one on a trials bike there.

I guess my question is, has anyone here entered an enduro on their trials bike? And if so, how did you find it?

I did some events about 20 years ago on a montesa242 realy enjoyed myself, go at your own pace enjoy the day don't blow your bike up.After this me and a friend bought a couple of Kawasaki trail bikes kmx 125 had lots of fun the guys on the mx bikes got us on the straights but around the woods we had the upper hand

I did some events about 20 years ago on a montesa242 realy enjoyed myself, go at your own pace enjoy the day don't blow your bike up.After this me and a friend bought a couple of Kawasaki trail bikes kmx 125 had lots of fun the guys on the mx bikes got us on the straights but around the woods we had the upper hand

At least the mud will be soft in the event of a fall, hehe. Thanks for your input, I guess if I take it easy on the straights the engine should be ok. I'm not likely to be going flat out every where any ways. There will be an assortment of bikes going round (pit bikes, classics etc.) sidecars and quads too though.

I've been mulling over running an enduro or similar for trials bikes for a while.

Nothing hardcore,thing is how many sections can you walk or queues can you sit in?

It would be nice just to go for a wee blast.

Don't know if anyone has done it before? (without sections)

Some enduros i have done would have you at an advantage on a trials bike. But generaly trials bikes react awfully at speed over rough ground. Some events would run a seperate class for trials bikes if they had above six entries. If you fancy it give it a go, but take it easy cos its better than not trying

Rode in a Time Trial last year, at Scar's Wood, at the end of the Bristol Airport runway. 50+ riders setting off at perhaps 20 second intervals, on a non-stop, tricky trials route. Very scary stuff, compared to trials. Others riding at speed, overtaking - even on/in sections, with little apparent care for their own or other's safety was my take on it. Dangerous stuff. I prefer trials.

Edited by stpauls

I did my first AMCA endurocross 30 years ago on my Montesa 348. The trials bikes were set off first for the 3 hour enduro which was mostly in tight woods. I led for 2 hours till the chain tube broke and jammed between the chain and sprocket Drrrr. Ride to your ability.

I know some guys who ride endures on trials bikes. If the trails are tight and twisty they kick butt. But when the trail is high speed desert running they simply don't have the high speed capability to keep up.

Per your other thread, there is water getting to your oil somehow. Be very careful that you don't run the radiator dry or things could get expensive.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've had a think, it's 38 pounds to enter and 90 bikes have signed on so far. I'd rather enter a trials at the end of october and use the bike for what it's built for. I'm going to give it a miss and go down to my friends farm to practice instead and then get the oil/water problem sorted next week. Thanks again :)

Wow, 38 pounds. That's about US $61. Our club charges $25 for a trial. Come ride with us! Haha. Bit of a commute to Seattle from where you are.

I would if I could, haha. The enduros around here are that price, the trials are £12 to enter, £10 a year membership fee- so not too bad :)