Montesa Mh200 Magneto Removal?

hab5000

I need to change the points and condensor on my MH200. Any tips/tricks on how to lock the crankshaft to stop the engine turning when removing the flywheel nut?

Also can someone confirm that the nut is reverse threaded? I've heard this but I'm not 100% sure.

Cheers!

Done zillions of these and my advice is DO NOT "poke" anything through the flywheel holes! - you run the risk of slipping and damaging the stator windings, or low tension wiring on the backplate. If you're going to "jam" anything then either put the bike in top gear and "jam" the front sprocket by putting the chain round it, it's not ideal but you can get away sometimes with locking the back wheel OR I find the safest and best way is to use a "strap" type oil filter tool (large commercial type best) round the outside of the flywheel and bingo - it's a doddle. Of course as the earlier post states no locking is really needed with an air nut gun - you can simply hold it with your hand. Good luck!

• Like 2

I use a luggage strap with the ratchet tightening mechanism. Strap is about 1" wide and I wrap it twice around the magneto then tie it off to the frame.

Like the idea of this! I've got one of these ratchet straps, I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back.