Ty250 Frame Mods

wobblieb40man

Hi All, I looking to refurb my very tired TY250 twinshock and would like to explore a Majesty type frame mod. A few years ago I spoke to someone at Telford who carried such work, but the for the life of me I can't recall his details. Has anyone got any ideas or contacts? Thanks

If you are not in a screaming hurry,(As in the next couple of weeks) I could convert it to a pretty much exact replica of an early Majesty for you.

Jon looks like you might be busy pity you don't do a 175 jig! I enclose your picasa pics concerning 250 frame mods = https://plus.google.com/photos/109171438807732712015/albums/5694268572989036097?banner=pwa

• Like 1

I gess it as, but, with the footrest lowered, it as to compensate. Plus the change of the position of the top shock mount and there lenght also change the fork rake witch make it, in my opinion ( might not be the best ) easier to ride. I live in Québec, no other Ty that I know were modified to these specs, but I still have a standard TY and even if I am NOT an expert ( lot of weight on the NOT ) I can tell you as I commented in an other post : yes it's worth the trouble to make the mod.

Guy

guy53 and I did the TY250 Yamaha frame Majesty mods at about the same time a few years ago and yes it is better to ride (for me the benefits are more clearance under the motor and a softer rear end). On mine the footpegs were lowered back to the same height off the ground as standard (the footpeg mounts go up the same amount as the motor with the majesty mods), and it does not feel top-heavy to me in turns. Maybe if the footpeg mounts were not lowered the C of G might feel a bit high.

Mine did seem to feel as if the wheelbase was a bit shorter than standard (it is actually the same wheelbase) in that it is slightly harder to manage the front end in some circumstances like when turning up hill. Because of this I would say that the majesty frame mods combined with a modest lengthening of the swingarm would probably be a good thing. I haven't done swingarm lengthening yet on that bike

I David, do you run your modified TY with a very soft front end ? At first I ran a harder setup and was alsways in trrouble in rocky sections. Since I installed the cartridge emulator and set them up so they are very soft, it is a lot easier to ride the rocky sections, but at the same time, I noticed that with a little more weight on the front end, the steering was better in moderate climb. Maybe half or tree quater of an inch longer swingarm would make it better.

Guy

• Like 1

I David, do you run your modified TY with a very soft front end ? At first I ran a harder setup and was alsways in trrouble in rocky sections. Since I installed the cartridge emulator and set them up so they are very soft, it is a lot easier to ride the rocky sections, but at the same time, I noticed that with a little more weight on the front end, the steering was better in moderate climb. Maybe half or tree quater of an inch longer swingarm would make it better.

Guy

I run the standard springs and preload spacers in the majesty modified TY250 frame and that seems to work fine to me. I also have a Godden Majesty 250, which carries a more weight on the front end than the Yamaha frame, and it is still fine with the cartridge emulators, standard springs and standard preload spacers.

Yes 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch would certainly help. If it was me I would extend the swingarm on the TY250-framed bike by 25mm, which would make it the same wheelbase as the Godden Majesty

I have a '74 TY250A with the stock frame. It felt quite skittish in the rear and was really hard to get moving from a stop on a very steep hill. It would either spin the rear tire or wheelie. I lengthened the swingarm with the premade plates from Motomerlin (35mm I think) and it improved both of those problems a lot. I still use the stock shocks and shock mount positions.

• Like 1