125 Pro Clutch Drag

elite

Hi all. Apologies if this has been covered before.

We have had my sons 2005 125 Pro for a couple of months now and have recently done an oil change on it. I flushed out the old oil, overfilled the tank with fresh oil to give it a good swill, warmed it up and ran it through the gears before replacing it with the right amount of 75w.

But, the clutch is dragging a bit now. Not all of the time but quite often it wants to keep moving forward. All worked spot on before the oil change. Have I used the wrong oil? If so what is the right for an early 125 Pro? Should I adjust the clutch or could there be another reason?

Thanks in advance. I've been away from trials bikes for a few years so its a learning process once again for me too.

Gary

1th overfilling an engine with oil is never a good idea in my opinion....

Since the only thing you changed is the oil it is most likely that the problem is because of that.

Checking if the clutch master works correctly from time to time is never a bad idea, but well lets stick to the oil as first suspect.

For the pro's you can (or must) use ATF oil

75 wt gear oil will drag until the engine is fully warm and maybe even then. Different makes of oil have different drag characteristics.

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/txt_pro_2014_en.pdf

See link. Gasgas recommend 75wt gear oil. Do not use ATF

A good quality 10w 40 approved for wet clutches such as yamalube or mobil motorcycle oil work well.

Thanks lads. I was told to stay away from the ATF but there are so many divided opinions out there. I filled it to between half and two thirds on the sighting window so I may just try draining it again and refilling to just about half way to see if that cures it.

I had a Gas Gas TxT Pro 250 and my son had a 125, I say had because some scrote decided they'd look better with their pikey a*** on them than them being in my garage a while back, anyway digressions aside, my 250 worked best with Putolene light gear oil and my lads with ATF (Dexron 3). We now both have Beta Evo's (250 & 125) and they both work well with the light gear oil but then again that bit doesn't really matter as you want the Gasser info!

The other thing is Gasser's only need 330ml of oil when doing an oil change, despite the manual saying 550ml.