Tyre Pressure Trade Off

southwester

So as I understand it bench mark tyre pressure is 4 in the rear and 6lb in the front.

People have told me to drop the pressure in the rear to as much as 2lb in the wet to aid traction but no lower because tyre may come off of rim, I can notice there is more traction with the lower pressure but also notice the back doesn't lift of the ground as easy on a de weight manoeuvre over a twig or pebble! So tyre pressure is part of compression and rebound.

Then there's the front what do people drop that to in the wet?

Any advice or theories appreciated. Cheers

It just depends on the exact tyre you are using, Michelin's you can run low pressure no problem, But with an IRC Rear we found you couldn't run below 5-6 PSI, Because when you hit a drop off the side of the tyre would open up and let air out, Causing it to go completely flat, Pretty poor for a trials tyre. Michelin X11 rear's you can run all day at 3psi. Stick with Michelin! Tried and tested.

too much variables to get my head around: Rims, terrain, riding style, skill level, tyre brand, tube or not, ...

And if you use the search function of this forum, you'll find enough about the subject, to keep you busy for a while

• Like 1

for me, dry = 6 psi 4, wet = 5.5 psi 3.5 good body position and throttle control is most critical in wet.

rob

Same for me, but for practising I've taken to raising the rear pressure by up to 2 psi to hone grip-finding skills (a technique once recommended by Mick Andrews as I recall).

Caution with all this as you may find your pressures will vary throughout the day.

Depending upon riding area, the tires will develop some heat in them as you ride, increasing pressures.

Temps during the course of the day vary as well! On a car, the rule of thumb would be about 1psi change per 10F variation.

Long story short, I have seen my pressures vary by a couple pounds from early cold settings!

i'm not real picky, i just leave it alone 99% of the time and only really check after a short warmup at an event. most practice days i never bother unless it looks or feels low. i've got a ton of other excuses as to why my riding sucks to blame tire pressure.

lol

rob

• Like 2