Non Running Raga?

wenceracing

Hey all,

I have a 2008 Raga rep txt280.

It ran fine for quite a while after I bought it and then slowly got harder to start. It now will not start at all? I did have a problem a while back where it looked like water got into the oil but I did not lose any water so I assume it was due to washing?

So far I have pulled and cleaned the carb thoroughly, pput in new piston and rings. The old piston had nipped up . Must have been like this when I bought it as it has not nipped up on me?

I cleaned up the bore and put all together.

I have checked that the woodruff key slot is at twelve oclock when the piston is at top dead centre.

Seems ok.

Checked reeds and they looked fine in terms of sealing but looked to be a saw type design?

Changed plug.

Cleaned all electrical joins and earth points.

Removed kill switch earth point.

Checked cdi for dodgy wiring etc.

Removed and cleaned face of pickup.

I am now going to check voltages etc.

What should I be getting where and when?

I am about to order a rh 27x1mm flywheel puller so I can remove the flywheel for a better lokk in there.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance MArk

The fact that it gradually got harder to start before stopping totally would make me want to check the stator. I assume you've checked for a spark the traditional way? Not a guarantee everything is fine but is a start. Also when you measure the redistance this is not always set in stone that the stator is not faulty if the readings are in spec

Try sticking to the ''maintance key'' when solving problems. Check spark, gas, compression...

By doing al sorts of things all together its really hard to find and thus solve your problem.

You mention the bike getting dificult to start, what does it when it start? runs fine?

Edited by crazybond700

The plug is new, I have been getting great flow through the fuel lines to the carb, carb cleaned and blown out, has compression( new piston and rings),fuel and spark.

Not 100% sure if spark is strong enough but looks to be so to me hence wanting to do some voltmeter testing.

When it runs it runs great.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone,

Mark

I was with Mark trying to get this bike started and the first thing I said was "Fuel, spark and compression and a 2 stroke will start". It had spark and fuel (we ended up putting a few drops down the plug hole to be sure) and it never coughed or even sounded like it wanted to fire. That was why he put the new piston in it - because we assumed that since it had spark and fuel, it must be compression. I'm glad he did replace the piston, as he found evidence of a previous seizure, but it has been running since then, so that shouldn't be the issue. There is also evidence of some serious heat (bubbled paint on the cylinder head) which I suspect was related to the seizure.

I suspect that it's an electrical issue, assuming that the top end was assembled correctly and that the carb was also assembled correctly after cleaning (Mark is experienced with bikes, so this should be a safe assumption).

It's a mystery as to why it is not firing at all, even though it has spark when we kick it over with the plug out?

Other starting problems could be (in normal cases, when it runs fine for the rest) kickstart gear wrongly timed, wrong start jet etc.

Normally when coils etc fail they do it other way arround, so the bike does fire and start, but after a small period it stops, until everything cooled down again and same cycle.

I assume the plug comes out really wet after some kicking?

when you cleaned carb did you clean out choke enrichment jet, assuming you have one, it can get over looked.

You said you checked woodruff but then said you were waiting for a flywheel removal tool ???. the symptoms you describe sound like failed woodruff to me!

TLTEL

• Like 1

What surprises me is that in the couple of hours that I was mucking around with it with Mark, it didn't fire once. Not one cough, splutter or any other indication that fuel had been ignited in the combustion chamber.

The new plug was wet. We even poured a little bit of fuel into the chamber to make sure.

It was flooded, but we left it for a while and also kicked it over 10+ times with the throttle wide open to clear it (we're not novices with bikes - just trials bikes).

I wasn't there for that part, but by "checking the woodroffe key slot at TDC" I assume Mark is saying that he looked at the flywheel where it mounts onto the crankshaft and could see the groove in the crank. I know he hasn't removed the flywheel yet.

The research that I've done suggests that the flywheel may have moved due to failure of the woodroffe key. We'll know when he sources a puller and removes the flywheel.

It's a pity there aren't more of these bikes around here (South Australia) as my normal trouble shooting method with electrics would be to start swapping components over from a donor bike until the problem is identified.

Does anyone know if the CDI from my 2006 Sherco 290 happens to be the same as the one on the Gasgas?

No worries , I have had a look at the cdi but will double check the pins. I checked the piston at TDC and was told if the groove was at 12 o'clock the woodruff should be fine. Puller is on its way anyway.

I may pull the carb again but I did clean the lot.

Cheers Mark