Bultaco Stickers Model 80 1971

trailie

Hi Sparks, the big Bultaco decal on that poor model 80 was a Sammy Miller decal rather than a Bultaco one, it still has the SM prefix on it. If I remember correctly, the tank on that bike was still in its original gelcoat colour and hadn't ever been re-painted, you can still see what's left of the decal under the seat, presumably Bultaco as it's too small for kit campeon

I wouldn't dispute your view on the kit campeon stuff as you have a few years on me so are better placed to know...

Interesting comments on EOR, I'm not sure if it was a prototype either, I've seen it referred to as such but was never sure if it was correct or not. As for its 'existence' you'll have to enter the Ilkley Miller round again next year as you have me very curious now...

Maybe I'll get the chance to ask him at the next round as he's usually out watching that one. Always mean to and always forget.

That's a lovely wee bike your riding Woody, and I remember our M80 looking a bit "tired" like the one you had.

When I was over in Barcelona this year I had hoped to find out a bit more about the bike but they don't have an M80 in the moto museum and the lady on the desk doesn't know much, although she's very nice about it, and the books they have are all in spanish.

I called out at the Romero shop. The're a really nice family but on the day I was there he had to go to the hospital, so him and his wife didn't stay long. In fairness he's not really into the trials bikes. He worked in the race department so it's all TSS stuff he's into. His wife worked in the export office and she showed me photograph albums of old pictures from inside the factory and of different people working there. That would have been good if I'd more time to sit and look at them.

I will say anytime I asked Peter what was the correct part he pointed to that cover picture from the owners manual. So it's the best thing I have to work from at the minute unless someone knows different ??

Ralph

Unfortunately Larry, I missed the best trials era by a few years, I was 11 when the model 80 came out and it was another couple of years until I saw my first trials bike, a Bultaco, being ridden in our local quarry by one of the UK's offroad legends, Arthur Browning. It was like the series 2 M92 in my picture with the alloy UK tank unit except that it was all polished alloy, no colour. Looked absolutely fantastic to us. It was a 250 and I'd guess it was an M91.

The fork braces on my M92 were standard fitment from about '74/75 I think. On this bike they don't help much with fork flex as I'm forever kicking the front wheel straight after riding a rock stream. It gets twisted very easily.

Woody, In our area we had a very good Bultaco dealer who was kind enough to sponsor some of us locally,

parts ect. I have my jersey & my son now wears it to represent the brand at local events, same age as you.

The series 2 M92 I don't remember here, the first wishbone we saw was the M125.

Still own my original M92/Miller frame.

Larry

Ibhbul

(Woody, Do you recall the original (at least here) piece of pressed alloy front fork brace/fender mount on mod 92?)

Hi All,

Just been reading this post with interest as I am in the process of fettling up a few of my Bultos,

I took a picture of my front mudguard brace as I think it is the one Larry is referring to.

You don't see many these days and it is a real work of art, much like the ones Beta and Montesa used for a while.

Cheers,

Blackie.

post-997-0-18079800-1414045237_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I cant recall the last time I saw one of those brackets. I had both M92's series 1 & 2 -had the best time ever with the series 1 as it was the first 'good' bike I owned, also the first bike I competed on and the first bike I got a trophy on. Basically the bike I learn t to ride on and the bike that got me hooked on trials and Bultacos. Unfortunately I don't have to many photos of my old bikes, that's it in the background behind my then girlfriends Lobito

post-222-0-53831200-1414061401_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the memories!

Its been a long and sometimes rocky road, my wife & children were all involved then.

Going to a usually large trial this weekend, small to great large stones all natural venue.

M199 &M 49 clean to go to observe only. (modern bike trial) Darn it.

Larry

Sorry chaps starting to get a bit A**L on this subject. Just been looking at the book Sherpa T the story. Looking up production numbers for another post. Last picture in the book is of a line up of bikes and the caption is "Waiting for guests at the Trial de San Antonio, February 1972" So bikes shown would be latish Model 80's. A small Bultaco sticker under the seat in mid position but no other decals other than the round badges.

Stuart