Following proper break-in procedure helps ensure that

the most important and expensive components on your

new motorcycle will provide maximum performance and

service life. (Also follow proper break-in procedure for a

newly rebuilt engine.)

When riding a new motorcycle, operate the motorcycle

for the first 20 minutes using not more than half throttle

and shifting gears so that the engine does not lug:'

I plan to take a bit more time, a few hours maybe, and gradually increase the load, when my new one is delivered.

Edited by guys

Ray Stringer (very experienced 4 stroke tuner) did some research on running in procedure. For maximum subsequent power output a hard running in, basically a good thrashing is the way to do it, gives a loose free revving engine.

I have always believed in the gentler progressive approach.

I don't know if it is still the case but Honda (and other) used to strongly advise running in on mineral oil, not synthetic. Synthetics can have such high film strength they prevent proper bedding in of components.

• Like 1

I hope you are so honest to tell whoever buys your bikes when you're done with it, that you didn't follow proper running in procedure.

I sure as hell don't want to buy such a second hand bike. Unless you can convince me you know better than the manufacturer.

Hard break in every time! I broke in my brand new £5k engine in the car at a trackday... 1.6 bar of boost and Rev limiter bashing!

The mont got a normal, hard ride the first outing!

Bearings will bed in within the first few minutes piston rings need load and higher cylinder pressures to cut into the bores and create a good seal. I'd rather buy a well used and looked after motor than one with Glazed up bores from a poncy break in and an easy life!

Edited by warby beta