Ty250A Bash Plate - Do It Yourself?!?!?

robbiesty175

Anyone have luck making your own bash plate? Need a pattern, or just use paper to form? Just wanting to keep this project cheap and easy (a LOT like me!) so advice is welcome.. You can even tell me how to make my own engine side cover too!

And if anyone has some cheap spares, that works too! Thanks to all!!!

post-20184-0-16896400-1414119042_thumb.jpg

I made one from 5mm aluminium plate that was a simple curve (not fancy, no welding) using a piece of wire as a template to do the curve at the front. It cost about $40 for the piece of aluminium. It could also be made with two creases instead of a curve if that is easier for you to bend

Bashplate - as already posted. A large gentle curve is better. Check with your duraluminium supplier but it is likely you will have to complete the bending within a few days of receiving the material.

I have fabricated several magneto cases but never one incorporating a clutch mechanism.

To make the case you need some aluminium rod 10 or 12 mm diameter and possibly some larger if sleeve location dowels are needed. Cut the rod to length, drill and turn (lathe) it to size and screw it onto the crankcase using the fixing screw holes. Curve strips of 3mm thick plate to match the crankcase gasket face profile between the screwed on rod. Tack plate to rod with TIG weld. The face of the cover is also made from 3 mm aluminium plate (jigsaw to size) and press (hydraulic garage press) to make it slightly dished like a saucer. Tack weld to the bits already fabricated.

If you want to make a clutch mechanism you will need machining facilities or consider welding a piece of thick aluminium to the magneto cover then fitting a screw on hydraulic slave cylinder assembly and converting clutch to hydraulic operation. Once all the bits are tack welded, fully weld them, remove them from the crankcase, touch in any missing weld, then flatten the gasket area with wet and dry paper on a sheet of glass. Make sure the holes for the crankcase screws have a bit of clearance as the fabrication will distort as it is welded.

You can also make and weld on a wedge shaped deflector to protect the gear leaver.

The first one of these cases I saw and copied was on Dave Thorpe's 500cc Honda world championship motocrosser.

• Like 1

I have an unfinished bash plate for another bike that might work with modifications. It is 3/16 alloy 8" wide and 18" long it has a 45 bend about 4" from front end. You may be able to modify by welding wings on to make it wider. I can bring it to the vintage trials at Huffman farms.

Also try bikeboneyard.com 406 240 5749 some time they have TY's for parts or they may know of a cover from another model that might fit.