2013 Factory Clutch Is Toast Already....

bigmark1972

I noticed my clutch slipping a bit in the higher gears a few weeks back.

I gave the lever more free play at the MC just to make sure it had some.

It seemed to get better for some time (it was hardly slipping before).

Today during practice I noticed it was slipping again, badly.

After some time today the bike was pretty much unable to be ridden.

I've not had a chance to tear it down yet but will soon.

Anyway I am guessing this bike has less than 40 or 50 hours on it

total time as it looked brand new (as in not a scratch on it anywhere)

when I got it.

I don't see how it's possible to have this clutch be gone so fast, is there

anything I should look for when I open it up?

Edited by bigmark1972

I have been told that although the GRO oil is excellent in certain circumstances it can make good clutches slip. But it sounds as though yours is likely plate wear. Yes, not many hours but the bike is a relatively new model so expect the unexpected

Probably a stupid question but how can I determine excessive plate wear, do I measure them with a micrometer? If so what are acceptable measurements?

To be honest, it went so fast I am expecting to find something wrong. If these clutches wear out THIS fast I'd expect to hear more chatter about it from others.

The clutch WAS a bit tight (no freeplay at all at MC) when I got the bike so perhaps the damage was done before I owned it.

"Probably a stupid question but how can I determine excessive plate wear, do I measure them with a micrometer? If so what are acceptable measurements?"

Youll have to find the workshop specs for the bike and compare them with the tolerances allowed using a multimeter. If its been slipping occasionally and then getting worse and now gone completely , its highly likely to be the friction plates that need replacing.

Ive never heard chatter when my plates have expired. I think that the difference in thickness between good and bad plates is so small that it only makes a difference to the clutch performance. Youd not notice otherwise

"The clutch WAS a bit tight (no freeplay at all at MC) when I got the bike so perhaps the damage was done before I owned it."

Sounds like your absolutely right there. This is what has helped to wear the plates out.

Id get those plates changed mate.It is likely to be them. As long as the lever is returning properly and no sticking in place then it will be your fiction plates. Its unlikely that anything has actually broken as you would have felt the fault immediately - From good to bad in a second.

Hope this helps

Ive had 2 Ossa's (bought used) and frustratingly had to replace the clutch on each bike. Both incidences have i believe been down to the previous owner running insufficient free play at the lever, so do make sure you have plenty if you replace!!

Ossa's are super sensitive to pack thickness, so suggest you need to remove the clutch and measure the total pack thickness.

I was advised 9.8mm is max, 9.75mm is perfect, less than 9.65mm and it will certainly slip. Mine was 9.55 and slipped big time.

I see that Btwice do thicker metal plates to extend life so that might just get you back in tolerance if you can source some.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've just had a new clutch fitted to my factory rep

And when I picked it up the biting point was too close to the grips for me, I have adjusted it but I'm just conscious that I have read a few things to on here regarding lever movement and the last thing I want to do is knacker another clutch. Has anyone got any measurements of advice on how to set it up ?i like to have the biting point so I can use the clutch ene fingered