Eligible Or Ineligible For The Scottish Pre 65

wallo

ps. to deryk

sadly no shawforth shake this year and perhaps for sometime as the wind turbine boys want to play on the moor..

and.. i know of a quality magazine available at any newsagent in the country from a local publisher with half a dozen local folk writing/editing that makes a loss with each and every issue.now quarterly instead of monthly and most of the sales now subscription... paper costs and ink have simply made them too expensive at retail to consume in large numbers as we once did. Equally the interweb has everything you need to know so demand falls so costs per copy increase..

Carbs must be Amal, except if you've a cub, then it's ok to have a Dellorto !!

thats the problem with a democratic club the members can vote for the rules and if a majority agree the rule is made.. other clubs are available but if you know of another purely pre65 bike club with a membership the equal of Yorks classic i d be surprised, if you know of another purely pre65 bike club organising as many pre65 bike trials as Yorkshire classic i d be surprised. i you know of any pre 65 bike club that has more riders than yorks classic i d be surprised. if you know of anywhere as good as yorkshire id be amazed add to that trials add to that pre65 and its a recipe that cant be beaten anywhere in the world... Carlsberg couldnt do better..

• Like 1

Are there really scores of pre unit big bangers sat in their sheds waiting for a suitable trials series? Pre 65 in '72 was for bikes just a few years past their sell by date being ridden by blokes who'd grown up with those sort of bikes.( hence the growing popularity of twin shocks and air cooled monos now)

Surely the fact that 40yrs later people are still interested in pre 65 shows that it's not all gloom and doom, most don't ride £10k bikes after all..?

As for people entering the sport thinking they can buy their way to the top, surely that's the same for every type of mechanised sport or hobby.

It's not a pageant of how it used to be in the 'good old days' , you can't buy an HT or comp Bullet for £500 and ride it to the event, and would you want to !

• Like 1

thats the problem with a democratic club the members can vote for the rules and if a majority agree the rule is made.. other clubs are available but if you know of another purely pre65 bike club with a membership the equal of Yorks classic i d be surprised, if you know of another purely pre65 bike club organising as many pre65 bike trials as Yorkshire classic i d be surprised. i you know of any pre 65 bike club that has more riders than yorks classic i d be surprised. if you know of anywhere as good as yorkshire id be amazed add to that trials add to that pre65 and its a recipe that cant be beaten anywhere in the world... Carlsberg couldnt do better..

Merely pointing out inconsistencies arise. Ridden and enjoyed The Captains and Waterside, but wouldn't compare them to Kinloch, totally different.

Again, purely out of curiosity, how can a Mills frame be eligible for the Pre65 or Pre70 class at Yorks Classic?

Their rules on replica frames state that it must be recognisable as the original and the Mills frame isn't a replica of anything. Neither do they allow the rear shock angle to be altered, even on an original frame

It would have to be ridden as a special

You've got to love the logic behind some of the rules that are out there. My old C15 had an original 1959 frame and 1962 engine. I lowered the rear subframe which is allowed but had to move the shock mounts as well to do it. I also changed the top mounts from the awful shrouded type to pegs the same as is standard on the swingarm so that the shocks were a more practical push on fit. I cut off the huge ugly rear mudguard loop because I hated it. All of these mods were achievable prior to 1965. But, even though it was an original (and bent and twisted) 1959 frame, those changes meant it was a special and it would have had to compete in the specials class against all sorts of modernised machinery.

A brand new Cub with the 'correct' new components, with 290cc which wasn't achievable before 1965, and fitted with a brand new Dellorto carb, can compete in the normal unit class - but mine was a special...

• Like 2

ps. to deryk

sadly no shawforth shake this year and perhaps for sometime as the wind turbine boys want to play on the moor..

and.. i know of a quality magazine available at any newsagent in the country from a local publisher with half a dozen local folk writing/editing that makes a loss with each and every issue.now quarterly instead of monthly and most of the sales now subscription... paper costs and ink have simply made them too expensive at retail to consume in large numbers as we once did. Equally the interweb has everything you need to know so demand falls so costs per copy increase..

Hi totalshell,

Now you know why my magazine has gone digital - 'cos I know precisely what happens to print production costs when circulation drops. Sadly I lost many subscribers when Mary had terminal cancer and our trips to events, trials and scrambles where we used to sell lots of Off-Road Reviews most weekends had to be severely curtailed - and then I got as close to bankruptcy as I ever want to be when I 'killed' Off-Road Review and, as I had always promised, returned every penny of unused subscriptions.

I am often asked about reprinting the books that I published, like 'Lochaber Rich Mixture' and I have found a way to do that - but there seems little real demand - the world has taken a massive leap to digital almost overnight.

Sad about the wind turbines taking over Shawforth - 'cos they are just a political con - they claim to create 'free' energy - but the reality is the amount of electricity that they generate in a turbine lifetime (about seven years for most manufacturers) sells for less than the cost of the replacement turbine - so all our electricity bills go up - and the politicians are happy because the world can see all the turbines and thinks they are lowering our bills and making the planet greener............

Sorry, rant over.

Deryk

PS. Thank you for spelling my name correctly and yes, C15's should have a distributor before 1965, but then Bantams should only be 123cc before 1965 - so it's all gone wrong if truth be known.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 years later...