Anyone Have A 'ladybird' Guide To Converting A Tyr To Twinshock

iconic558

Not politics,but common sense really.A TYR is going to be a top weapon in the air cooled mono class which time rolling on will dictate as being the next big thing in "Classic trials". Proper Pre65 bikes are in serious decline,(However much I'd like it not to be...) the lightweight Bantams,Cubs and James etc are still going strong - but everything is about twinshocks.Air cooled monos are next,and the TYR was probably the best overall of the lot of them.(Certainly as a clubmans bike)

So keep it as a mono and enjoy the A/C mono class on it.

• Like 2

Not politics,but common sense really.A TYR is going to be a top weapon in the air cooled mono class which time rolling on will dictate as being the next big thing in "Classic trials". Proper Pre65 bikes are in serious decline,(However much I'd like it not to be...) the lightweight Bantams,Cubs and James etc are still going strong - but everything is about twinshocks.Air cooled monos are next,and the TYR was probably the best overall of the lot of them.(Certainly as a clubmans bike)

So keep it as a mono and enjoy the A/C mono class on it.

Sound advice. An AC mono is likely to gain value, one which has been hacked about to create a twinshock which is ineligible in that class in many trials would be a valueless clunker.

• Like 1

What you do to your own bike if you have one to convert is entirely up to you we have a guy in our club who has converted one and has ridden it a few times but is not eligible to ride in our twinshock air cooled mono class here in NZ so has now got it on sale = http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dirt-bikes/auction-772081876.htm

all sounds great guys but we don't have an mono-aircooled class here in Norfolk, they (a/c/ mono) have been obsolete for a long time now and still no class so can't see it ever happening,...got to be twin shock no matter how far from standard they are, as long as its got two dampers with springs hanging off the rear end anything else goes ;)

I'd wish there was an aircooled mon-class but this topic (not the OP topic) has been done to death time and time again.

cheers

Well flog it and buy a proper twinshock,there are plenty around and your TYR will easily find a good home. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Why not sell it and buy the one that's already been converted in Colchester which has been advertised on ebay several times now and is still unsold

It's probably still unsold as no-one is interested in it as twinshock interest for most is about the bikes themselves, not about riding under the label of a class within a trial, or a t/s trial itself. Most people ride twinshocks as they have some sort of affinity with the bike they used to ride back in that era.

Contrary to what you were told, it's not really a common conversion for that reason as no-one rode a TY Mono with twinshocks, plus they aren't elligible for 99% of twinshock events.They'll be allowed in probably but for no points if it's a championship or no award.

Accepting that in your area they aren't fussy with rules, it's your bike and obviously up to you what you do with it, but as the seller in Colchester is finding out, a converted mono is likely to be an unwanted item should you ever have to sell it.

• Like 2

Has anyone something to say regarding the mechanical subject of converting a TYR to TY...the process of, you know, the actual doing of it....this seems have gotten lost ?

thanks

People are just trying to advise you against doing it for good reason. Good air cooled monos will be sought after soon, they are the last affordable air cooled trials bike. Even though I have seen a few over time I don't know anyone who has done it. I nearly did it myself a few years ago but didn't bother for the very reasons mentioned in this thread. There is a very expensive one on ebay now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TY-YAMAHA-250-MAJESTY-TRIALS-2014-/221597149255?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3398382847

,I ride for fun not cups or medals. If i came last it wouldn't bother me,Which is often, as long as i enjoy myself.Just depends what u want to do with it.I'm building Honda 125 at moment.with a cg 125 engine,ct125 frame.and i will be riding that against modern bikes.if and when it gets finished,when funds allow,not everyone can just go out and buy a bike when they want,Anyway cpl pics if any good to you.