Reliability

heffergm

I actually like all the Yam engines including the TY80, TY 175 and the 75 250. My favourites are the last of the air cooled as fitted to the TYR and pinkie. I would have liked to see them watercooled and maybe a few more CC for a little bit more power and bore / piston longevity. Although the watercooled variant as fitted to TYZ and Scorpa were good reliable engines I just did not feel quite at home with the power characteristics and found the TYZ riding position did not suit me.

Agree the later shock was a very noticeable improvement.

Round here most people were happy with their engines stock as was I generally. I have always been a bit on the heavy side, 14 St + and I felt the engine was a bit "wooly" and could have done with a bit more snap particularly on steep grippy stuff in very hot weather, but even in stock form a good reliable engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no ! Have to throw some petrol on the bonnfire here.Mmmm , Reliabillity . GasGas quallity is not so hot,but it's better than some . I was absolutly sick when i bought a TXT 250 last year and at 8 month old just turned out to be poor , the pathetic problems i got with it made me get rid. It was straight and all the problems put right when i sold it . Bought a 2014 4RT . This is where i eat a large slice of humble pie . I can't ride the 4rt . My slight physique has a lot to do with it as i see lads who are a good lump bigger than me throw them around.Good solid quallity.The clutch is bloody crap.Before anyone pipes up ,ive experimented with every oil on the market.It's the plates.

So after waffling for a minute , the GasGas was brill to ride ! I was instantly at home on it and the suspension was ace. I could use it and spent most of the time on the back wheel when the bike was all in one piece.

I think that the modern GasGas is a propper comp bike and realistically,besides normal maintenance , need's a total rebuild / inspection once a season with hard use and maybe every other with moderate use.There's so little gearbox oil in bikes now it's getting to be a joke.

I'm saying prevention is better than cure,and the toss up is light weight and fragile (reliabillity problems) or quallity and heavy weight

Happy new year to every one .

Ted .

• Like 1