B40 C15 Rear Frame Alignment

chapelfarmer

Hello - I've just bought a B40 frame / C15 bike and have now got it running - sounds fantastic! I was going to put a new back mudguard on the bike but when I took off the existing one I found that the rear wheel runs very much closer to the shock absorber on the silencer side of the frame than to the one on the chain side. The rear wheel runs in fact about 1" off the centre line of the rest of the rest of the frame (or so it looks to me). Is this normal? And if it is how do I fit my nice shiny new 5" mudguard? It won't easily line up with the little holes in the bracket behind the seat - or at least not in a way that runs 'true'.

I do of course have 342 other questions about the bike but I thought I'd start with this one!

Thanks for any help or advice

John

PS shock absorbers are only 300mm long if that makes any difference?

post-20705-0-22578500-1415565408_thumb.jpeg

post-20705-0-47979500-1415565418_thumb.jpeg

before putting shiny stuff on, make sure the bike was mechanically sound and having the wheels in line would be fairly close to the top of the list..

the wheel will be 'off centre' for one of a number of reasons... most likely the chain line will be the major factor or the hub may be too wide.. first rule is a good coat of looking at your bike then find a bike that is right and note the differences measure take photos..then decide a course of action.. what ever you do dont put the new mudguard on yet you ll have a fair bit to do before your at that stage.. welcome to the joy of pre65.. putting right stuff on 50 year old bikes..if your in yorkshire check out the names on yorks classic list of blokes that can..

Went through a similar mind bending situation with a C15 before realising that the engine is actually offset in the frame. As with the previous post key alignment issue is the chain run. If you still need clearance it may be a case of adjusting the relationship between the hub and the rim by adjusting the wheel spoking.

Edited by penno350

Many thanks for the advice both. It does indeed run straight relative to the chain line so I guess that's why it's like it is....Plus looking at photos on the web they all seem to be a bit one-sided. I suppose I could move the rim across a bit by adjusting the spokes as you suggest but I wonder whether it's necessary and there's a very very small available gap behind the chain guard anyway?

I think I'll try just riding it for a while and see whether it's making a problem at all. I suspect not.

John