Power Output

scorpatic

As Rolls Royce would say, "adequate".

But I assume you're wondering in the context of 31 bhp claimed for the Vertigo. I imagine if the Ossa differed significantly from the low twenties quoted for a Gas Gas the last time I saw a published figure for a modern bike then they'd have shouted about it.

For what it's worth, the original Sherpa claimed 18 bhp if I remember correctly. There's a good reason why bhp figures have not (until Vertigo) risen much and it's to do with rideability, though with World sections now bhp may be more important than the old days when it was torque that counted more in a trials bike.

I can't recall a posting asking how to increase the power of a bike but there have been plenty along the lines of "how can I detune my XYZ?". Which makes one wonder how much of a sales point a comparatively large bhp for a new bike will be in the mass market.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

Yes 2stroke4stroke, that was exactly what prompted the question. My friend said he thought his Montesa was about 19 20 hp and I thought the 2011 Ossa to be about the same now that its map is set how I like it. (Huge torque for a two stroker.) But 31 hp seems like a massive amount and I cannot imagine holding onto that without shoulder damage! Maybe it is ridiculously smooth and all in reserve but why?

• 1 month later...

1979 325 Bulto was about 18.5 HP, 97 GG 320 about 23 HP, 250 4RT about 19 HP. present 300 Beta I would guess about 25 at the top end but soft delivery at low revs. I would say a 280 Ossa has maybe marginally more mid range.

I had a 490 Maico MXer rated at just over 40HP and it was very rideable and grippy at low RPM, like a trials bike. A slightly tuned Honda CR500 is just short of 70 HP. The power is brutal and totally useless a gripping on low speed slippy going. It does not pull your arms much because the riding position is so good.

Edited by dadof2

• 7 months later...