Newbie Needing Advice

justdug

Hey everyone,

Names Doug from Inverness, Scotland

New to trials trying get into it to help my enduro riding on my KTM 300exc and just get better overall slow speed bike control.

Figuring out what kind of bike to go for tho is a nightmare as I haven't got a huge budget, and there is so many different bikes and conflicting information.

Also I'm a heavy lad (around 18 Stone) so was worried what bikes would manage my weight as trial bikes don't seem to have the heavest suspension around.

I've been looking at a 2010 290 Beta Evo guy was wanting £1800 for it which i thought was a really good price as it's just been nickle plated back down to a Size A piston and the bike is in good condition, also there was a 2000 Montesa 315r and a 2002 Gasgas 321 for sale aswel around £1000.

would be interested in seeing what you all think.

Cheers

Doug

Agree with the above post .If the Mont is still in good shape buy it .The GasGas was a good bike in its day but nowhere the build quality of the Mont(built by Honda)The BETA is cheap and would be lighter and easier to ride but the electrics and clutches on them can be poor Trials suspension is softer than enduro but I wouldn't worry about it it won't hold you back

welcome, trials is a great sport. i maybe different than most folks around here, if enduro is your sport and money is an issue, then, are you really looking to get into another sport? are you looking to compete in trials? if you want to be a better enduro rider then i recommend investing your time and limited money on riding your enduro bike. watch youtube vids and go out and practice on your enduro bike. don't get me wrong trials is a great sport and i wish i would have done trials before mx. and lots of folks will tell you how great a teacher trials is and i agree. the "but" is for weekend warriors the limited time and financial budget means i only get to choose one sport. so with that i will say this almost all trials bikes are reliable and dependable. i've ridden all brands and owned almost all brands. there are not much difference in anyone of them. most of the problems come from what you break when you fall. fenders, levers. most of the time it's lack of maintenance, i've owned used ones, new ones are my favorite because you know what you are getting. but they are just like mx / enduro bikes with regards to what to look for in a used one. so ride some and pick one that feels comfy to you.

the beta and the monty might be better for a larger guy as they hold up pretty well to abuse. i'm pretty sure beefier springs are available for most bikes if needed.

good luck

rob