250T Questions

relic

Hello all,

new to the forum and new to trials; I've just acquired a 250T and have a couple of questions. I've little info on the bike but it seems nearly complete and I've had it running long enough to satisfy myself that it is worthy of further time and expense.

I hope someone here can tell me how much oil the gearbox should take? Before trying to start the bike I made sure there was some in it but I don't see any way to know the amount, (no dipstick or sight glass) so I'm guessing that it should be drained and filled with the specified amount.

Second query- the bike came with a box of parts, (don't they always?) and in there is the headlamp and tail lamp assemblies and some of the wiring harness. I realize the lighting will be pretty much useless but never the less I'd like to install it and have the bike looking somewhat original. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these bikes?

And what was used to regulate the stator output?

thanks for any assistance,

Relic

PS- I'm new to trials but not to vintage bikes. Long time member of the CVMG. Got the sickness bad...I even own a Panther! LOL

nov%202014-M.jpg

Edited by relic

Looking at your Italjet it looks like it should have a green frame, engine, rear mudguard and tank. The gearbox holds a heap of oil, I think it was 1.2 litres. I have also read that with the bike flat the oil should reach the bottom of the clutch adjusting screw plug. That is the gold bolt thing in the middle of the primary case. I can`t remember what weight oil is supposed to be in them I think it was a light gear oil around 10/30 weight or so. I think. I`ll check for you tomorrow as I don`t have the information here at home. Yours is an early model. Graham.

• Like 2

Thanks for that info Graham. I too am wondering about the colours. Could the bikes exported to Canada have been different? The frame paint appears to be original; there are no signs of green showing through even inside the tube and the white seems to be professionally applied. Its always a mystery with multi owner bikes. But this one doesn't look like any I've seen photos of on the web. Should the engine and frame numbers match?

The carb is definitely a 26mm, (stamped and I measured) but neither of the serial numbers have any indication of engine size or build date.

I will drain the oil from the gearbox and measure what comes out. I looked for a level plug but never thought of the gold bolt, thanks.

I have lots to learn about the bike but I'm looking foward to bringing it back to a reasonable appearence, (not a resto by any means) and have it working good so I can get out and have some fun. I'm hoping to gain some experience and confidence on this bike that will make me a better gravel and trail rider.

thanks!

Edited by relic

They all had green frames so yours could have been stripped and repainted / powder coated. Unlikely a small firm like Italjet would change colours for different countries.

Yours looks to be the green coloured 250 but with a white tank, due to the black engine and hubs, but after 30 years you never know what's been changed. As the exhaust is already off, just lift the head and measure the bore. Around 70mm and it's a 250, 80mm and its a 325.

• Like 1

Hi Relic. I remembered to look up that information today and the gearbox holds 2 litres of oil. That is why I remembered it holds a lot of oil. Steve Goode also said 10/40 weight but he uses PJ1 Ultra Light oil. He also said the level is under the centre screw in the clutch cover. Graham.

• Like 2

Super! Thanks again Graham. Two litres is a lot for sure!

And thanks as well Woody, I've confirmed that she is a 250.

We are well into to winter in my area, (currently minus 11 Celcius and a fair amount of snow) so it will be several months before I get a chance to ride the bike.

Over the winter I'll pick away at getting it ready so I'm sure I'll have some more questions. I've ordered a photo copy of the parts manual from a seller on E-bay and I think that will be of some help. So far I recovered the seat as I had a piece of black material on hand. I also sonic cleaned the carb and rinsed the tank before running the motor.

And I've been looking at air filter elements that might be fabbed/modified to work in the stock air box. The previous owner(s) had glued a piece of foam to the snorkel and it is deteriorating badly.

One piece I'm on the hunt for is the carb adapter. (the tube that joins the carb to the barrel) I found a piece of hydraulic hose in the box of parts with clamp marks on it and I suppose that is what was being used. It is split open but with some duc tape and clamps I was able to put it to use long enough to get the motor running for a short tme. All of the 26mm carb adapters that I've found in catalogues are the flanged type rather than the double ended spigot style that I need.

I guess if I can't turn up anything I can always use some sort of hose/tubing but I'd prefer a proper carb adapter designed for the application.

IMG_3565-M.jpg

Pic showing the taped up carb adapter

thanks gentlemen

Relic

From what I can see of the airbox, the filter from the last model Sherpa looks as though it could fit as the filter and hose are a complete assembly, see link

http://www.inmotiontrials.com/product/bultaco-sherpa-199b-air-filter-on-hose/

The inlet hose rubber should be a standard part which are easily available. They come in different diameters depending on bike / carb combination, I'd imagine yours needs the hose that is 35mm ID both ends

http://www.inmotiontrials.com/product-category/carburettor-bultaco/.

• Like 3

Yes for certain the carb inlet adapter looks like it would be spot on. I'm not sure about that filter assembly; it would depend if the snorkel is offset? My airbox outlet is very close to one side of the box.

I have a friend who is only a few hundred kilometers from here who is into vintage Bultacos so I will send him that info just in case he has a source in Canada.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

Relic

I found the carb inlet also available in the US from Hugh's but it may be less expensive through Inmotion---when shipping is factored in. Either way I'll order one soon. My first thoughts were to just clean up the bike a bit and ride it but the more I learn about these the more I'm intrigued. A closer look at my "white" frame reveals that it is a repaint (as you folks have said) but must have been chemically stripped. There is absolutely no signs of green even inside the tubes. (I looked with a borescope). But there are a few minute runs in the paint. I also found a "Fantic" logo on the white rear mud guard. But there sure are a lot of variables when looking at pics on the web; white or green mudguards, fork lowers either green or black or silver.

One thing I've not found on any of these many, many pics is side panels with red and blue like mine.

IMG_3567-M.jpg

Note also my green, round headlamp assembly.

So now I'm thinking of stripping the frame and painting it green over the winter. Not a restoration but just so it looks relatively correct.

I do have another five months of "off" season before riding starts up again...

Relic

Hi Relic. I think the stickers on your Italjet are from the last ones which over here had a red frame and I have seen photos of the same model with a blue frame and a purple one. Have a look at www.italjet.com This site has photos of all of them on it under history I think. Your headlight is off the first ones to come out over here but were the second ones to come out in Europe. Your rear engine mount was only found on the green ones too. They also had a green engine so if your numbers do not match I would say it has had an engine change at some stage in its life. All the stickers are available online. Graham.

• Like 1

You can buy the original airfilters too. Steve Goode and In Motion have them. What I did on one I was getting ready for a friends son to ride was use a 40mm pod filter screwed onto the round steel pipe in the end on the carb to airbox rubber. Have the clamp and the filter inside the airbox. It might help to make up a new piece of pipe which is a bit longer than standard as the pod tends to fall off the stock pipe. Graham.

• Like 1

Hi Relic. I think the stickers on your Italjet are from the last ones which over here had a red frame and I have seen photos of the same model with a blue frame and a purple one. Have a look at www.italjet.com This site has photos of all of them on it under history I think. Your headlight is off the first ones to come out over here but were the second ones to come out in Europe. Your rear engine mount was only found on the green ones too. They also had a green engine so if your numbers do not match I would say it has had an engine change at some stage in its life. All the stickers are available online. Graham.

I can't get the history page to load from that site but I think the second version of the 250 had a black engine. It was only one model and they went back to green like the 350 after that (until the white tank model I mean)

I'm sure I've seen a brochure picture showing a 250 black engine

• Like 1

So for certain I've got myself a "bitsa" here. Again, thanks fellows for the info and help. I have been to the Swiss site but never the company site. The history page won't load for me either Woody, perhaps it will come back at some point. It would be interesting to see. (everything else on the site works fine)

I think I've got a filter worked out that will do the job. I trimmed the flange part of the snorkel down a bit and that fit inside an oval shaped Suzuki atv filter, (oiled foam type) that in turn fits in the airbox. I added a steel wire cage to give the foam filter some support throughout its length.

Carb inlet on order. And now I've got to decide how I'll proceed with the appearance. Without sinking a lot of cash into the bike. I'm thinking green frame, black engine, clean the rest up and maybe the correct side panel decals if I can find them. (I did a search that showed they had been available on E-Bay in the UK but not currently listed). Attach the lights and sort out a wiring harness to have them functional. And then go out and have some fun.

Relic

edit---just found decals in Italy

Edited by relic
  • Like 2