250T Questions

relic

For interests sake---the "History" section on the Italjet company website is working now. I had no idea they made such a wide variety of motorcycles over the years. Everything from fold up bikes to a 650 twin four stroke. Trikes, mini bikes, two stroke twins...something for everyone!

Most of these models must be very rare to find these days.

Sort of like Panthers and DR BIGs in Canada...LOL!

Relic

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this is helpful, it's from my owners manual dated May 1981 (1st edition).

Helpful? Wow! This is great fourex. Thanks very much.

This information is going to make things a lot easier, especially when it comes to the wiring.

I'll post a progress photo or two when I get a bit more accomplished.

thanks!

Relic

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_3629%20-%20Copy-M.jpg

Starting to come together...I know the green is too green, not exactly a correct match but it was as close as I could get without paying for scanning and mixing. My aim is to make her reasonably correct in appearance, without spending lots and have some fun riding come spring.

Relic

Edited by relic
  • Like 1

Thanks Larry!

Now the wheels are on; had to do some fiddling with the front brake cable and it's return spring. The spring was so long that it was "coil bound" before the brake was fully activated. Careful work with the disc cutter to remove a few coils without touching the inner cable and now all is well. Also found the inner throttle cable was down to only a few strands inside the twist grip housing so I made up a new inner.

Today, I've sorted the wiring although not as original. There was no horn, nor stop lamp switch with the bike and I see no need for them for my intended purpose so I've fitted a handle bar switch that incorporates headlamp off/high/low and push kill switch. All the bulbs were bad and I'm trying a 12 volt headlamp bulb with 6 volt tail and pilot bulbs. My theory being that the 12 volt bulb (while not being very bright) will help prevent the system from over powering. And I don't plan on being out after dark. My only reason for fitting the lighting at all is that I like the looks.

I was kicking the bike today checking spark, (confirming my wiring and the aftermarket kill switch was all in order) and that has me wondering what you do about the right footrest, kick lever interference? The footrests are sprung to stay down. For my test kicks today I bungee'd the footrest up but there must be a better way of dealing with this issue?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Relic

• Like 1

The footpeg on the kickstart lever side was always a hassle on the Italjets. The kickstart also hits the rear brake pedal. What a few blokes I know have done is to ziptie a bent piece of wire(3mm or 1/8``) onto the frame to hook the footpeg and hold it out of the way when you are trying to start it. It is easy and cheap to do this and it works. It might not look correct on a concourse Italjet but if you are using it it really does the job. Graham.

• Like 3

I looked closely at some of the photos on the web of these bikes and many have a tie wrap loosely dangling from the right frame down tube I'm guessing for the purpose of holding the foot peg out of the way. I'll do something similar like Graham suggested when the time comes. For now, she's finished waiting for spring. With any luck that should happen by mid to late April here. Till then I have a friend with a vinyl cutter that says she can do a decent job of making side panel decals for me. In the correct double green with black logo. (the red and blue looks very out of place now that the frame is green rather than the previous white)

So the bike will look pretty good until the first time I drop it. :blush:

Thanks again to all of you for the help!

IMG_3646-M.jpg

IMG_3644%20Ready%20to%20ride-M.jpg

IMG_3643%20Jan25%202015-M.jpg

Relic

Edited by relic
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...