Montesa 4Rt?

throttlejokey

Check the suspension linkages for excess wear, standard sump shields can wear thin and crack around the rear bolts,silencers can be a bit flimsy.

Other than that they're pretty much bullet proof as long as they've been maintained well.

They're probably the most reliable out there, as long as they've had oil and filter changes and the valves checked every now and again the engines are pretty bulletproof. Gearboxes and electrics are good, even on the older models.

one engine rebuild in 6 years, but that was down to me and not build quality

Edited by jrsunt

I'd say if well maintained, should be very reliable.

The "tea bag" filter on the fuel pump can be the main source of problems, if they get clogged up. Also on older bikes, the fuel pump mount base (made of steel), can rust inside, again clogging the fuel pump filter (I've always used an aviation fuel filter, when refilling the tank, this filters out any particles or water in the fuel).

As already said, highly reliable and pretty much bullet proof. The 4rt is not everyone's cup of tea though, they feel big and heavy and many people suffer serious (bike changing) problems trying to get them to grip. They do grip though but differently to a 2 stroke, some people find it immediately, others (like me) had to work on it, and many never do. I've had 4rt's for some years now and have never been tempted to swap for anything else, they're big fun to ride.

Edited by the addict

everyone seems to have good things to say about them one gentlemen has done four Scottish six days without any trouble other makes and models wouldn't be able to manage that .for what I do easy course/pay and play think they will be ideal for me .I just wanted to no if there was any problems etc to avoid buying a bad bike many thanks

The 4RT are very fun to ride (Though on the heavy side). If you do not plan on hopping much and just want a carefree ride. The top-ends do not last as long as the posters say. But it all depends on care. Buy a clean one with low hours, not a clean well used one. You are on a Montesa forum and the Honda lovers never lie. Check out what Honda says about maintenance intervals.

I know a rider that's ridden a 2007 4rt, twice a week, just about every week and it's had virtually nothing done to it, except regular oil and filter changes, a mitani clutch, it still sounds great and rides great. It could probably do with a new piston and rings, but doesn't feel or sound like it does. If you maintain them, they will outlast anything. As has been said linkage bearing need looking after, but that's to be expected and classed as a consumable if you don't.

Buy a well maintained one and look after it, filter the fuel like shedracer says and you shouldn't have any problems.

Edited by jj65
  • Like 1