Montesa 4Rt?

throttlejokey

Top ends don't last my ass. Mine has literally thousands of hours on it, and still runs very strong. The PO rode it pretty hard, and I've not been too kind to it either. Regular oil & filter changes, and keep and eye on the valve adjustment (although mine has not slipped out of adjustment....ever). As others have stated, it's a Honda. Love it a little, and it will love you long time!

BTW mine is an '05, ridden, worn, and bashed here in the wild, wild west.

SanYsidro2014041_zpsf06bdb34.jpg

You will have to excuse Brewtus, his mind is a little warped. He set this canyon last year for our vintage Experts. (He`s a committed Honda/Montesa nut.)

• Like 1

Not even all of them.DSC03458_zps06565925.jpg

Been rooting through some "Brown" trash I see.... :dunce:

You will have to excuse Brewtus, his mind is a little warped. He set this canyon last year for our vintage Experts. (He`s a committed Honda/Montesa nut.)

Damn straight I am!! As I recall, you were the only Vintage Expert to ride that section. The rest poooosed out. :dummyspit:

700 hours on a 4RT top end? Pffft! Nothin!! Barely broken in. Mine had that by the time I got it in 2008. :rotfl:

• Like 1

I've only ridden a 4RT once, at a test day, so have no experience but the most impressive thing about them for me is the vast amount of nothing their riders have to do whilst passing time in the parc ferme each morning at the Scottish.

It's decades since Honda had a bad reputation for top ends and I would be very surprised if any real work was ever required to one that had been given regular oil changes and used in trials that did not require revving to valve bounce before popping the clutch.

• Like 1

I know of 11 4rts that have had varied life's by owners ranging from novice to expert and none have needed top end rebuilds, ever. Some, like I said before, have been used twice a week for years. If your having to rebuild top ends, it must be something to do with either, fuel, oil or ?, but it ain't a Honda issue.

• Like 2

Lineway, what have you got on the end of your exhaust???

A spark arrester, as required in some states in the US.

Make that ALL states in the U.S. when riding on "public" lands. A complete and utter horses*it "solution" to an unwarranted and unproven "problem" created by the bunnyhuggin', idiototic, and unregulated EPA to prevent wildfires that were never, ever started by an internal combustion driven vehicled, blown-out-of-the-tailpipe exhaust emitting "spark".

I may have a strong opinion about this. :hyper:

Edited by brewtus
  • Like 3

Never said that was one bike or several. Just said they don`t last forever. Thinking about it, you boys don`t even have sand. Rarely do you ride in a cloud of dust, We seldom ride when it`s wet. Myself, I cannot remember the last cylinder I bought on a trials bike. Never in 42 years. At least on my personal bike!

But I have blown up a few other Honda`s!

Edited by lineaway

G'day Stkman,

So I didnt have it quite right? Components changed at 700 hrs... not still in cupboard. I have 25 hrs on my Cota so have a bit to go!

What signalled the new stuff? Did you do a compression test and it was dropping? Leak down test?

Where the valve ground and seats recut?

Its a great testament to Honda trials motor running 700 hrs on original topend! And...1100 now on the rest.

Mags