2003 Montesa 315R Ignition Timing?

betarich

Hi ive been out on my mont today and noticed its started to hunt on tick over, it starts first or second kick every time and seams to have bags of power and runs great, but 2 people have said to me today that the ignition timing is out when they were sat at the side of my bike when on tick over.

can the timing be adjusted on a 315? if so how do i set it?

Thanks in advance Rich

def a fuel issue. Worked on car and bike engines most days for the last 35 years (old git) - if your timing was out, which is very, very unlikely on any Honda engine unless someone has been tinkering where they shouldn't, then you would have starting and power issues. It's surging because it's fighting for the right mixture - as a previous post suggested you probably need a good carb and filter cleaning session and while you're at it make sure theres no splits/perrished bits between carb and intake and that the joint and clip are in good nick. when it's back together make sure the idle screw is where it should be. depends what size pilot jet you're running but mine runs like a swiss watch set at 2 turns out give or take.

Good luck

Hey Rich, i've had two 315's and on the first i fitted a Keihin pwk28 which really opens up the power and helps starting especially when you drop the bike but on my last one i fitted the pwk 26 instead, made the power a lot smoother

You can also get the copy carb OKO or a few other copy makes, still as good

The PWK is standard on the Beta Evo's and also Ktm85sx or most small 2 stroke crossers

I'd seriously recommend changing to one

In fact i have one knocking around or spec to Rich Allen at Allens used trials spares and he'll sell you a brand new copy pwk for £85 ish

Hey Rich, i've had two 315's and on the first i fitted a Keihin pwk28 which really opens up the power and helps starting especially when you drop the bike but on my last one i fitted the pwk 26 instead, made the power a lot smoother

You can also get the copy carb OKO or a few other copy makes, still as good

The PWK is standard on the Beta Evo's and also Ktm85sx or most small 2 stroke crossers

I'd seriously recommend changing to one

In fact i have one knocking around or spec to Rich Allen at Allens used trials spares and he'll sell you a brand new copy pwk for £85 ish

just sent you a PM mate

HI Rich, I think you were at the barnsley trial on sunday? I watched you ride because im restoring a 315 at the minute,

you could also import your own OKO carb, by buying it off ebay,

26mm = £59

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OKO-26MM-POWERJET-FLAT-SIDE-CARB-Keihin-PWK-carb-TYPE-/221571348481?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3396ae7801

28mm = £61

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OKO-28mm-RACING-CARB-FLAT-SLIDE-CARBURETTOR-/281461273404?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item418866333c

• 2 weeks later...