Is Being A Heavier Rider An Advantage?

fivebrick

Was thinking a bit about the physics of trials- in a laymen's sense. Is it possible that a heavier rider may have an advantage over a lighter rider, all other things being equal? The heavier rider gets more traction presumably, and has a greater weight to bike weight ratio. Perhaps the heavier rider has more control in the sense that the heavy rider is less prone to being influenced by the bikes actions. Over a rocky creek for example the bike is reacting to the terrain, can a 200 lb. rider influence the bike to do what he wants more than a 150 lb. rider of equal skill. Does the extra weight make the bike have less "say" in its trajectory and give the rider more control? Anybody have any thoughts.

It (being overweight) ain't workin' out too well for me personally...... I have dropped about 20-25 lbs., and still need/want to lose another 10-15 lbs.. Riding seems easier not carting around the extra tonnage. It's easier to move around on the bike......

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron
  • Like 1

In spite of what most are posting, my observations especially while checking, was that in the beginner and novice sections, with riders of equal talent, the heavier rider always seemed to be less prone to being kicked off line. Once you move up in section difficulty, I would agree that weight becomes more of a detriment.

When I posed the question I should have clarified a bit. I don't mean a fatter rider vs a rider with low body fat. I really meant two riders of equal skill, experience and body fat %… etc. I don't think there's any debate that a fatter rider's performance will suffer from most physical contests versus his leaner counterpart. Certainly a 300 lb. lineman with 10% body fat is probably, again all things being equal, a better player than a 300 lb. lineman with 20% BF.

In spite of what most are posting, my observations especially while checking, was that in the beginner and novice sections, with riders of equal talent, the heavier rider always seemed to be less prone to being kicked off line. Once you move up in section difficulty, I would agree that weight becomes more of a detriment.

Yes nh014 you nailed what I was thinking when I posted originally, but you said it better than I did!

Jeroni Fajardo doesn't weigh much & he seems to ride alright.

Doug Lampkin was heavier than all his rivals, but he still won seven consecutive world championships.

I'd suggest that unless you are competing with Toni Bou, in which case power to weight ratio will assist you on the biggest steps, there is nothing to it but different bike set up.

• Like 1

I don't think it is, when I think of such questions I always amplify it a bit and have a look.

500lb trials rider vs 75lb trials rider, who's going to have an easier go of it?

I am sure there is a sweet spot and of course talent has everything to do with it

but these bikes are not very accommodating for super heavy riders.

In any case all you can do is practice and make the best of your situation.

My NY resolution is to lose 35-40 lbs and I expect this to help me a bunch this season.

When I posed the question I should have clarified a bit. I don't mean a fatter rider vs a rider with low body fat. I really meant two riders of equal skill, experience and body fat %… etc. I don't think there's any debate that a fatter rider's performance will suffer from most physical contests versus his leaner counterpart. Certainly a 300 lb. lineman with 10% body fat is probably, again all things being equal, a better player than a 300 lb. lineman with 20% BF.

Whats a lineman?

Does this have any relevance to trials?