2015 Gasgas 250 Contact

michael_t

Has anybody had a chance to try out the new 250 Contact?

Sounds like a great idea for a lower level rider who would like to do a bit of trail riding as well (like me). I notice the specs call for gas mixed at 50:1 instead of the typical 100:1 is the 250 engine different than that in the pro? or is it just because the intended use is different?

Any insights are welcome.

Edited by michael_t

With the exception of the seat and gas tank, the Contact looks like the Eco model they have been selling in the US for a while. Lower grade suspension, components and leftovers for a lower price point. It won't be a good trail bike because it uses the same gearing as a regular trials bike with the huge jump between 4th and 5th. It uses a smaller carb than the pro which might explain 50:1

GG never specs 100:1 - was 2% for years and now spec'd at 50:1 across the line. 100:1 is OK for trials, but probably not for hard trail use. The contact uses the same carb as the std pro - so definitely not that. The key to this bike will be price IMO. cheap price will make it a reasonable option as a occasional cross over bike, especially on super tight trails. Probably better for trials than trails. The added range is nice. Seems like a decent seat. I would rather spec a 300 for trail use though.

My 1995 and earlier trials bikes were pretty good for trail riding with their more linear gearing. I think the Contact would be better if they used the old Contact motor with the old style gearing. It would gain about 15 lbs but the motor would be more reliable. You don't need the Pro motor for casual trials and trail riding.