Fantic 245 Seat/tank

pierre66

I`ve just bought a Fantic 245. I`ve removed the tank and seat from the bike as one unit. When I tried to undo the two bolts that hold the tank and seat together they just spin round. Any ideas how I can get these two bolts out?

Cheers.

Well I`ve got one bolt out, more luck than skill. I wedged a thin screwdriver between the tank and seat unit, next to the bolt, and a couple of sharp twists with a spanner got the bolt to come loose, the captive nut seems to have gone tight in the tank again but I wouldn`t trust it to remain so. Not a chance with the other side.

The bolt screws into a captive nut that looks a bit like a rivnut but without the top shoulder. If I grind the head off the bolt then I can remove the seat/mudguard unit from the tank but then what? Might be able to get some grips on the bolt shaft and wiggle it loose, unlikely I think. Might be able to drill it out, probably the whole lot will just spin when the drill bit touches it.

I know it`s not a massive problem and it doesn`t stop the bike from running, but this is annoying the hell out of me now.