Bike Dies After Water Crossings

zakmaeda

Recently aquired a 2002 Rev3 and dont have much motorcycle experience. Last week I changed the clutch case on the bike due to a crack under the skid plate rubber. On my first ride with the new cover I rode a new spot and there was a river crossing. I didnt realize how depp the water was till it was too late to turn around, it may have been 18-20" deep. So, I crossed and all was fine and rode around the area for about 30 minutes and decided to head back across to get to my truck. On the way back I crossed it just fine and about 20 feet out of the water the bike slowly died. I kicked it a few times and it would turn back on for about 2 seconds and die. I walked the bike back to the truck and let it dry for about 5-10 minutes and kicked it and it started after the second kick and worked fine for the rest of the day (about another hour). When I got home I drained the oil and it was milky colored from water. Where would the water more than likely be able to get into the oil? I know it wasnt the water pump cause that is brand new. Is it pretty normal for a bike to die after big water crossings? I am a newbie so I am not to sure on any of this.

Thanks

Milky oil - the gearbox has a breather pipe, when you plunge the bike into cold water it cooled the air in the gearbox creating a vacuum that sucks water in through the breather.

Could also be a corroded primary drive case / water pump housing allowing coolant to leak into transmission oil.

Bikes tend to cut out in deep water, can be a splash shorting the HT spark, water in carb or on air filter.

You need to repeatedly flush gearbox with clean oil, fit a dry air filter and thoroughly warm the bike up. Leave water in and it could wreck your main or gearbox bearings.

• Like 1

On the older bikes we ran the vent tubes up and also added venting. The bikes could run almost as deep as the air intake. The modern water cooled bikes cannot go through that deep of water depending on temp. We have had numerous cylinders crack. Instead of adding venting, you can notch the flywheel cover to drain. ( On the lower side) Still run the venting up. But I would not ride a modern bike in too deep of water.